Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm discouraged :( >
  • I'm discouraged :(

• I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM

How do we know we are ready to progress from practice sandwiches onto the real quilt? I've finished sewing the top of a table runner and feel so tempted to start FMQ but I lack the confidence! So, so worried that I would ruin the quilt. :(

One more thing, when I do meandering designs, is there a specific direction I should move? Top to bottom or side to side? Currently, I do not have a fixed direction to move...basically just moving according to my feel and sometimes end up at the same spot.

When I FMQ, do I always start and end the stitches only once on the quilt? I notice that I had to do this several times as the stitches sometimes end in an awkward spot, forcing me to end the stitches, then start all over again in a new spot.
    Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 AM

I have read thru the posts and one thing that I haven't seen mentioned was to check your top tension area for any fluff that may have accumulated there, because that will affect the top tension. If you are using a 30 wt thread for the top, you will need a larger needle (topstitch). Make sure the thread isn't for hand-quilting, because it will be too stiff for the machine.
    Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Try to look at Leah Day's blog!!!! She is a wonder. Rather a young woman with great skills, terrific logic and GREAT GREAT videos. They have helped me alot.

Julie
    Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Hi all

Just want to share that I've written to Leah Day for advice on my tension and some FMQ problems. She suggested that I raise my feed dogs which I did. Now my tension issues are gone! No more loopy threads and eyelashes! :)

I've been practicing hard for the past two weeks and very glad that my stitches are more even now! Yes, everyone is right...practice makes perfect! Though I'm still far from being perfect and would take many more months (or years!) to be as good as many quilters here.

Hugs to everyone here for your encouragement! I would never have improved without all your encouragement and advice!
    Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 AM

[quote=vivientan]Hi all

Just want to share that I've written to Leah Day for advice on my tension and some FMQ problems. She suggested that I raise my feed dogs which I did. Now my tension issues are gone! No more loopy threads and eyelashes! :)

I've been practicing hard for the past two weeks and very glad that my stitches are more even now! Yes, everyone is right...practice makes perfect! Though I'm still far from being perfect and would take many more months (or years!) to be as good as many quilters here.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I was frustrated with FMQ too. Then I read somewhere that some people prefer the feeddogs up. I tried it and yes, it was much better. I still need tons of practice but I now WANT to practice.
    Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM

I never drop my feed dogs. It make nicer stitches and I have more control with my quilt.