Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW fabric.  How did I do? >

OBW fabric. How did I do?

OBW fabric. How did I do?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
I'd love to take credit for that idea, but I saw it here and borrowed it! It's really fun as I'm sewing OBW pieces from a stack of plates. I leave the last empty one on top of the stack until the block is finished. When it's time to sew a new one, it's like a little Christmas each time I pull a plate off the top of the stack--you never know what's going to be under there! DH has even coming running from the den to check on me a few times because I've squeeled out loud!! LOL
You are such a hoot dixie_fried! So many things you've said throughout your thread are exactly how I felt too. It IS like a mini Christmas present every time a new hexagon reveals itself and hard not to "squeal out loud" with delight. And it is so cool how serendipitous the whole One Block Wonder process is. It is all the better for not being planned out. Even the blocks that aren't so inspiring work to make the whole quilt fabulous. I must say that your OBW is turning out to be one of the prettiest ones I've seen. Love your pajama pant design wall... LOL!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 01-04-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
I use my camera to help with block placement. It's easier to pick out the ones that need to be moved. I just lay out a general design I like - then rearrange until nothing screams at me - then sew them together quick before I drive myself crazy! As far as quilting, you can do what ever you have the energy to do.. you can do something in each hex, or an all over meander. There was a post on here a little while back with some quilting ideas.. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it! http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t130422.html

shnnn - that's a great idea to use your camera to helop with block placement. And camera shots are great to use it to remember block placements you liked (as QuiltE suggests) as you fool around with the layout.

I posted the "Sharing templates for Quilting OBWs" thread because I was desperate to come up with ideas for quilting my OBW and had noticed that others were having the same problem. After using one of them, I think it was actually a bit too difficult for a beginner like me to quilt it in a uniform all over pattern and would now suggest a more random all over design that plays off how your OBW speaks to you.

Looking at other peoples OBW's in the gallery and how they quilted them is also a help. Charismah is getting ready to quilt a wonderful OBW that Caroline S.'s daughter did:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-daughters-obw-t173635.html . I'm dying to see how she quilts it because she is especially good at letting a quilt speak to her.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
It's a challenge all right, but don't let yourself get discouraged during it.
You've got a masterpiece in the making!!!

When I did mine, I spent a lot of time looking at the pics in the book, and online to determine what I liked about the placements I saw. All the similar blocks together? in lines? spirals? sunbursts? types of kaleidos? And some had them just wherever they landed.

You've done the right thing, by getting them all up together. Then start moving them around. Take breaks and come back and see what you think. Take photos as you go, so if you scramble them up, you can come back to where you were. I found, looking at the smaller pic helped me see what stuck out like that sore thumb and needed to be changed.

I see a lot of similarities in yours to mine. Here's some links to help you see how mine changed along the way.

First round of placing the blocks, with a little frustration!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t116964.html

Getting serious on the placements … and getting more frustrated!!http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t119337.html

Alas! together and hanging on my design wall
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t123058.html

Tout Fini!!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html

It's a fun time, but don't panic or get frustrated!!
Take your time, and you'll be thrilled with the results.
You'll love seeing how it all comes together!!!!
And then you'll start planning your next one.
QuiltE--you got some great advice as you went along. I will use many of the ideas...especially the pictures in between block moves. I really like the idea of the red/green transparencies to detect value! That will be very handy, as I'm terrible with values vs. color.

Your OBW turned out terrific, btw!! I really like the backing brought around with the flange.

I'm currently considering leaving the long sides as they are, in the sort of zig zag. I can't convince myself that cutting off the points is a good idea for me.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post

Looking at other peoples OBW's in the gallery and how they quilted them is also a help. Charismah is getting ready to quilt a wonderful OBW that Caroline S.'s daughter did:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-daughters-obw-t173635.html . I'm dying to see how she quilts it because she is especially good at letting a quilt speak to her.
This is the very quilt that made me think I had to try a OBW!! I commented how beautiful it was and then went looking for a tutorial!! I got fabric the next day and blocks done a few days later.
(All that really says is that I have trouble delaying gratification!!)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Default Newbie somewhat.

This is so pretty. Thanks for sharing. Iam looking thru every where to grasp the layout of colors. You are all so talented ! We have new neighbors & they have a baby. So, trying to come up with a blend for a little girl.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 AM

For those of you who have completed OBW's, can you tell me how you decided on final block placement and quilting design? Both are a few days out for me, but, I feel like if I don't have an idea of where this is going...it might head to the UFO pile.
I think QuiltE just answered that question beautifully. Also, Dixie, you are doing a superb job with placement all on your own. Please do not get discouraged and let this become a UFO!

One other technique I would like to add is that I like to look at a quilt is the light of early dawn or fading twilight. (It doesn't work as well to use faint household lighting.) Dim natural lighting makes the colors fade away and the intensity or the impact of shades stand out. It lets you view your quilt in a way human eyes have difficulty recognizing and it lets you tweak your arrangement to create an even better layout.

I have another tip you have not asked about. Members here were highly recommending using quilting gloves, which always seemed to be a silly and uneccesary expense to me. But they were so enthusiastic about them that I took their advice. They especially seemed to like "machingers". I bought a pair on eBay for cheap and have to say WOW! what a difference they made in machine quilting! I wish I had them when I tried quilting my OBW. They help you make your fabric behave and greatly reduce the strain on your finger tips and quilt top.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM

QuiltE--you got some great advice as you went along. I will use many of the ideas...especially the pictures in between block moves. I really like the idea of the red/green transparencies to detect value! That will be very handy, as I'm terrible with values vs. color.

Your OBW turned out terrific, btw!! I really like the backing brought around with the flange.

I'm currently considering leaving the long sides as they are, in the sort of zig zag. I can't convince myself that cutting off the points is a good idea for me.
I've done both - left the sides zigzagged and cut them off, but I've bordered all of mine so I didn't have a zagged edge to bind. If you are going to border a zigzagged edge, cut the triangle filler pieces and sew them in when you sew your rows together. Otherwise you will have to set them in the Y seam
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Dixie ... I did get a lot of help and sure appreciated it.
The red transparency thing, I just wish I could get that figured out. My eyes just never seem to know what's going on. I think I need a lesson IRL someday by someone who really does get it!

I considered leaving the zig-zags, and then backed off, getting worried about the binding stage later. Plus, if I was going to do that, I think I'd want it along the top/bottom, and my layout had them down the long sides.

Then I decided to help enlarge the quilt a little, I'd bring the back to the front for the binding along with lace .... though til the moment I did it, I had NO CLUE how I was going to do that!! That step gave me an extra 5" each for length/width.

Have you thought about your border(s), backing and binding? A suggestion would be for you to think thru to those steps as that might affect your hex placements.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Have you thought about your border(s), backing and binding? A suggestion would be for you to think thru to those steps as that might affect your hex placements.
I have floated a few ideas thru my head...
I have a 12 2.5X22" strips left from the first cutting that I may use up as a second border...I would like the whole quilt to be a bit bigger. I will probably piece in some triangles to the long edge and keep the zigzags, while also giving a straight outside edge. I am considering an unbleached fabric...a heavier weight muslin or the other natural colored cotton I can't recall the name of at the moment. I think it will pull the cream out more, which is what seems to disappear to me.
I have a yard of the original that I will incorporate into the backing somehow.

I'm open to any suggestions that any of you have!!

Last edited by dixie_fried; 01-04-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM

For those of you who have completed OBW's, can you tell me how you decided on final block placement and quilting design? Both are a few days out for me, but, I feel like if I don't have an idea of where this is going...it might head to the UFO pile.
That is the hardest part of making an OBW. I have shifted, removed and added blocks for days until the quilt tells me "it works". I have found that sometimes a block just does not work and I remove it. I have also cut a whole cloth hexagons to use in the composition to replace removed blocks. That is the wonder of a design wall, it helps to stand back, let it sit, come back, shift, and repeat until you are happy.