Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
See Why OBW is Wonderful .... until .............. >

See Why OBW is Wonderful .... until ..............

See Why OBW is Wonderful .... until ..............

Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

OBW is Wonderful ... until you have to decide where to put each of those hexes!! :roll:

Friday was my OBW course day. Yea, to great progress at the course. It was all so much more simpler than when you read the book!

Hexes sew up fast ... and I have them all done now. Although am considering making more for a larger quilt than first planned.

However, the REAL work begins now, in determining where to put them for the final verdict!!! :roll:

The Virgin Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185773[/ATTACH]

Completed at the Course
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185793[/ATTACH]

Oh dear ... now how does one decided where every one of those hexes should be placed???????
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185767.jpe   attachment-185787.jpe   attachment-185791.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

That is lovely fabric for a OBW. I only have the OBW Cubed book but in that one she does offer suggestions on placement.

With yours I think I would group by color value for the most striking display of hexes. Try looking at the value of the hex only and go from darkest in one corner graduating to lightest in the opposite corner. The fabric seems to be lending itself to that.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking for Round Two ... that I should start with the darker ones in a corner and then fan out into the other colours, ending with the lightest over in the diagonally opposite corner.

Thoughts? Feedback?
All are most welcome!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I haven't done one but I remember that gorgeous fabric and love what you're doing!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
That is lovely fabric for a OBW. I only have the OBW Cubed book but in that one she does offer suggestions on placement.

With yours I think I would group by color value for the most striking display of hexes. Try looking at the value of the hex only and go from darkest in one corner graduating to lightest in the opposite corner. The fabric seems to be lending itself to that.
Ha!! GMTA ... it would seem that as you were typing your suggestion ... I was typing my thoughts and request for input!!! :thumbup:

Re your suggestion of colour value ... how much attention do you think I should place towards the actual grouping of the colours?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I haven't done one but I remember that gorgeous fabric and love what you're doing!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Thanks :thumbup: I'm really enjoying working with the fabric ... and the whole OBW project. I foresee many more in the future! :)
Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM

I agree with you, placing the blocks is the hardest part. I would place the blocks, walk away for a day, come back and rearrange, walk away, come back and rearrange. I just finally said, STOP, and sewed them together. Every arrangement was nice, but my DH was getting tired of it hanging there. LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Ha!! GMTA ... it would seem that as you were typing your suggestion ... I was typing my thoughts and request for input!!! :thumbup:

Re your suggestion of colour value ... how much attention do you think I should place towards the actual grouping of the colours?

Thanks for the help!
I agree! OK first my disclaimer. I have never actually made a OBW. I have only spent countless hours staring at the book and knowing when I see a pictre here of one if it is pleasing to me and flows. You already seem to have a big grouping of value in your picture here but some of the darks are further down. Go to an office supply store and get one of those transparent plastic binder page holders in the red color and green color. Cut it half so you have one sheet of the red. When putting the hexes on the design wall step back and view through the red plastic. It should mute the color so it is really obvious what reads dark medium and light. There is a lot of red in your quilt so if it doesn't seem to work, view it through the green one. This should help you in segregating the hues enough to work on placement of value only in your layout. Take pictures and look at it via picture. Sometimes something that is not obvious as you stare at it in the flesh becomes glaringly obvious in a photo.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM

That fabric is so pretty that it won't matter where you put the hexes. I can't wait to see it finished!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Looking good. Beautiful fabric.