poison ivy

Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM

The showers may be helping things spread. I don't know for fact, but if the liquid oozing from the rash spread the infection, perhaps the water mixing with it also works that way. So could using a washcloth.

I don't have any suggestions. I can handle a lot of pain, but one bug bite sends me through the roof. I can't do itching...Hopefully you will feel better soon,
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you wash your clothes and sheets every day!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

In a recent thread someone said Arrid Extra Dry regular in yellow can sprayed on would dry it up fast. Our local drug store puts out a product "Mid-summer gel:. PM if you want their phone number. They mail out daily. My husband uses it and it dries up PI fast!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM

whene i was a kid got a bad case mommy made a past out of baking soda dried it out so it would not drain witch causes it to spred
Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM

I was raised in WV by my Grandma, who seemed to be resistant to Poison Ivy, she would pull it up with her hands and plant it on the fence to keep hunters out of the cow pasture. When I got it once she picked some plant and rubbed it on me, then when we got home she washed me good (lye soap was all we had then) and then rubbed honey all over my skin. I couldn't go outside because of bees!!!! But honey is a strong antiseptic and one of the most natural remedies for a lot of things. Won't hurt to try it on just one spot.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luv-e
It hurts like Heck but bleach dabbed on it......
i was so allergic to it i didn't even have to touch it, i'd get it from petting the dog who was probably in it. i was the only girl allowed to wear slacks to school as it oozed all over my legs. please go to the hospital if it gets worse... that is sometimes required.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM

ramona- I read jewelweed is good for it, but I have no idea if I could get it locally.

Bendryl makes me sleepy, didn't help the itching. Dr. said Allegra, but it didn't work either.

I just washed my hands and arms again with the lye soap. So far it's the only thing that provides relief for about 20 min.

Laundry- OMG- everything I touch I put in the hamper. My washer died last Sun. so I spent Wed. at my son's- did 3 loads, Fri. night at the laundromat- did 9 loads and Sat. 1 more load at my Dad's. Calling today to get a repairman.

I keep telling myself, it has to get better. The research I did online says 7 to 10 days for break out. I'm at 9. It has to end soon.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

There are prescription creams for it but I don't know the name of it any more! (Sorry). Also there is some over the counter stuff you can buy. Did you ask at the pharmacist for suggestions!! 2 of my kids had a terrible time with it but the prescription stuff sure helped.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Daughter had a bad case too, they couldn't determine if it was posion ivy or posion oak, kept upping the steroids - she didn't sleep for days. We got some fels-naptha soap (bar) it is by the laundry detergent, grated it and washed her and her clothes, sheets etcetera in it, it seemed to help the itches. She also got some oatmeal bath stuff from whole foods.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Well, bleach works well, but is prettty strong. Ammonia will do it too, but if you can spare a few days and find a chlorinated pool and spend many hours in it, that will help dry it up and the cool water helps ease the itch!! There is stuff called Domeboro Tablets you can get from the druggist. You disolve them in water , I use a quart size mason jar, put the solution in the fridge, and then soak and wring out a wash rag and lay it on wherever you want. Helps with the itch and dries it. I've also used it for shingles, very soothing.
Have you tried benadryl? I'm afraid the shots are the best thing though, if you can't tolerate it any longer.

I feel your pain, though my sensitivity has greatly reduced since my younger years!