Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing the Fold of the fabric >

Removing the Fold of the fabric

Removing the Fold of the fabric

Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Banned

There's just something counterintuitive about spraying an acid on fabric, even if it is diluted. Vinegar can also cause skin irritations, especially on babies. And for those who use it as a fabric softener, it destroys elastic.

I prewash my fabrics, iron them, and do not refold them selvedge to selvedge for storing. I fold end to end in half, quarters, whatever, and then lastly fold the selvedge sides together. The lengthwise fold is softened and the new 'creases', if any, are crosswise. They iron out easily when constructing a quilt.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 AM

Washing all the small pieces is out of the question...I have pressed and steamed and still have noticable crease marks. I'll try using a pressing cloth dipped in vinegar water.
I just wanted to use up some small scraps...
Old 11-21-2008, 05:46 AM

I wet small pieces in warm water in the sink, squeeze out the excess water, lay them on a towel and roll it up to get out the rest of the water - then iron until dry. Works great for small pieces. :D
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I've read and heard that spraying vinegar on the crease would help. I don't personally know if it's true. I guess you could try it on a couple and see though.
Yes, spray or dab a little WHITE vinegar on the crease and steam until dry. let the piece cool before removing from the ironing board. If the fabric has been permanent-press treated, it may not work. But the vinegar usually works.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Vinegar

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I've read and heard that spraying vinegar on the crease would help. I don't personally know if it's true. I guess you could try it on a couple and see though.
I've mixed white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and put that on difficult places to iron. In the past, that has allowed me to iron out the center fold of fabric, but the last two pieces I tried did not work. It's like they are permanently part of the fabric.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 AM

Try a little starch. I haven't used straight starch but I have Flatter spray and have used it successfully to remove the crease lines. A small spray, wait a few seconds or minute, then iron.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 AM

I mist all my fabrics. I add vinegar to my water and mist heavily over the darn fold. Sometimes it might take couple tries at it but usually I can get the fold out.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:08 AM

I use a lot of steam in the steam iron. It it appears to be resisting my efforts I will use a bit of spray sizing or starch and the seems to do the trick.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:24 AM

This is an older thread, fun to see some of the people from back then are still on.

I'm usually pretty good about getting fabric to behave but some fold lines just do not want to come out and sometimes they are very noticeable. Next time it comes up, I think I'll try my dying heat treatment in the microwave and see how the fabric reacts to that. (Taking clean washed wet fabric, submerge in a large pyrex bowl, cover with ample water and then plastic wrap it sealed. Heat on high for 20 minutes. Carefully drain and rinse.)

Sometimes the "crease" is more of a color illusion from sun damage along the top of the bolt, there's really no crease to get out! If the fabric was folded with right sides in, that crease could even be darker after long storage from minor dye crocking.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 AM

I do the same as "Shadow Dancer" to get the fold creases out of my fabrics.