Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM

I've have done numerous travels, any kind of art needle like knitting needles, crochet hooks, needlepoint they are classified as sharp objects and they will confiscate them at security. Your not even allowed a small pocket knife or nail file as they can be used for weapons.

My advise take books, cross word puzzles, etc to help stop the boredom.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM

I've flown many times since right after 9/11 'til recently and I've always had knitting needles and have only been stopped because someone wanted to see what I was knitting.
You can take small scissors. You can also get a very cool knitting kit made for airplanes that has plastic scissors, needles, tape measure, etc. I got mine at a local knitting store.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM

I just took a international flight to Germany on American 3 weeks ago. I took a hand quiltting project. TSA allows the tools but they say check the airline so I called. I did buy small blunt fold up scissors from a $3 kit at joanns. They didnt take anything from me. I took rulers to draw my lines and marking pens and pencil. Call the airline and you'll be fine!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Check the TSA website. I do think a few things have relaxed a little like scissors - it has to do with the length of the blade. I have also used nail clippers to cut thread on planes. Metal knitting needles are a no no - I think my daughter was allowed to take her wood or plastic ones.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM

I've taken a short blunt scissors when I was hand piecing a quilt top and had no problems.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM

I used my bamboo knitting needles on domestic flights from Fla. to Texas and back again this past summer with cotton yarn making dishcloths. No problem. I didn't have to worry about cutting yarn so I didn't bother with anything to cut it.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
I'm about to embark on a 10-12 hour plane trip shortly. Well, between flights and layovers anyway. Does anyone off-hand know what crafting tools will be allowed? I'm thinking maybe crochet stuff might be best, but I will need something to cut the yarn. Any helpful hints? Thanks!
I just went to South Africa in April. I could take scissors that were 4" long and also needles. They didn't allow knitting needles, but that could have changed. You can go online and look at the US airport security rules. I flew Delta.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 PM

How about bamboo knitting needles. Do they take them away as well?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I always laugh at the stories about what the airlines won't let you have. It reminds me of a nursing home that I worked at when I was fresh out of nursing school. We had a sweet lady that loved to crochet and knit and did so for hours. She was forgetful and needed constant reminders of meds, meals, showers etc. The higher ups felt that she was at risk of hurting herself with the knitting needles and crochet hooks and took them away. She was lost! I reminded them that she could put her eye out with her toothbrush if she really wanted to! They gave the needles and hooks back to her!
How sad!!! You're at the end of your years. And barely remember meds and showers and someone wants to take away something you still enjoy!Wow!
Tammy
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sharon b
Last year when I flew the scissors had to have blades less than 4 inches- you can go to the TSA site and they will tell you what is allowed - also check with the airline you are flying
ditto