Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first time >
  • first time

• first time

Old 01-12-2012, 04:37 AM

Glad to hear you found a guild that you enjoy. It sounds like an auspicious start, and I hope you do go back and continue to enjoy it.
    Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 AM

I am the youngest member of our Guild. Being in my mid 30's, most are old enough to be my grandmother or great grandmother and the others old enough to be my mom. What I love that despite the age difference we all are there for one purpose and that is our love of quilting and age has nothing to do with that.

Our Guild sounds pretty much like yours. We too, have a Social hour, business meeting, show and tell, and a demo of something or another. We do Sewing B's and other sewing events but never during the Guild Meeting. Im glad to hear you are going to continue to go and have found a group of ladies that you mesh well with.
    Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 AM
    dd

Our group is very small. We don't pay dues and we don't have business meetings anymore. We each bring something to work on. We share what we are working on or have finished. We talk and help others. We share magazines and fabrics or whatever that we know we won't use anymore. We take classes together. We pray for each other. Sometimes we have a dinner, like for Christmas. I like our group, it's the best.

Maybe you could take some hand work along to work on during the meeting.
    Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Quilters come in all shapes, sizes, ages and walks of life. I belong to two different large guilds. One is fairly local and the other is an hour drive for me. After 40 years of quilting I know what I like and don't like. I enjoy the company of other people who talk quilt but I am not obscessed with the subject. There are stages in quilting like in any hobby or pursuit. In the begining you are eager to learn everything and so very serious. As you sift through the choices and decide what part of quilting you enjoy best you will settle in to a comfort zone. In the mean time try and rotate around to different tables or however your guilds meet. When you find a group of people who share similar interests make that your regular seat. As for the most part women we are all at different stages in our lives. The same is true for our quilting lives. I learn as much from other quilters as I do from the speakers and demos offered by the meetings. Shop around until you find a group or table that meets your needs. You might even start your own little group that can meet when it best suits you and your lifestyle.
    Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 AM

The meeting you went to sounds like what happens at most guilds. You can forge some great friendships with other quilters at guild meetings regardless of age differences. Try it a few more times before making a final decision.

mltquilt
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 AM

I had a similar experience when we lived in a small town. Those older ladies were so helpful and wanted to share their knowledge with me without being pushy. I very much encourage you to go again. You will learn a lot and make new friends.
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 AM

KerryK... sounds like Dixie didn't have much of a heart at least at that guild. lol

No offense to Alabama nor Dixie. Charlie
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM

I know that my guild has the monthly meeting where we are introduced to a new block, a member may share a project or new idea or technique then we have a show and tell of the work we have done in the past month. We then have a separate work day once a month where the machines come out and we cut, sew layer, pin, machine or hand quilt, solve problems and somewhere around noon have lunch.

Another guild in my town has the "business meeting" with a project or technique demonstration but has many, many sub groups that meet more frequently just for quilting, working on community projects or learning techniques in small groups. It all depends on how the guild members want the group to operate. In the end find the guild that meets your needs and makes you feel at home.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Great that you found a friendly group, go to a few more meetings and learn the ends and outs of the group. Sounds like a good group that I would enjoy.
    Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

You are very fortunate to find a happy friendly group to join. Most of us have not been that fortunate. I could add to the stories of not being well reveived but will refrain lol.I don't know why women get so nasty when in groups. Count yourself lucky and get involved if it is your thing to be with people!