Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time >

first time

first time

Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 AM

The BEST quilting guild is the one we have here at the Quilting Board.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Sounds like a great group and if you can learn new techniques that you are interested in, that's great. You don't have to feel obligated to go to every meeting.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm glad that your experience was a possitive one so that you are thinking of returning. I belong to 2 guilds. Each are unique. But both are friendly and supportive and genuinely happy to help out a fello quilter.
Like any other group, when people get to together there can be stuggles of power, competition, and any other child like behavior you can imagine. The best groups are able to work through them.
The groups are as good as the members let the groups be. Be yourself and don't let anyone try to make you be something different.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Glad you found a group that welcomed you. It doesn't happen in every guild. For many of us, the Quilt Board is the beat guild we've belonged to...everyone is so great here!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Finding a group of women you feel comfortable with is most important. They may have a "sew" at another time. If not, you might suggest that.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM

I agree that I am glad you found a congenial group. I belong to a group which has 3 quilting days a year. Then we work on charity quilts. The other meeting days are for business and short classes on techniques. We have a light brunch on the business meeting days. Some groups are so cliquish that you don't want to belong to them anyway.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
I went to the quilting guild for the first time today. It's a small group of a little over thirty people. Everyone was a lot older than me except for two other people. Everyone was very friendly and treated me like I belonged. They had the business meeting, show and tell, ate lunch- everyone brings something- then they had demos of how to do apliques and different quilting blocks. Wasn't what I expected but I learned a lot. May have to go a few times to get used to it. It was a very nice group of quilters.I thought you would sew all day but I only saw one sewing machine there.
You are lucky to find such a nice group. It sounds like my quilt guild which is a bit larger. All different talents are shown and everyone is so friendly and helpful. Maybe you will have sit and sew days too.
cleodaisy
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
The BEST quilting guild is the one we have here at the Quilting Board.
Caroline - Amen to that!!!
cleodaisy
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 PM

The guild I joined I only wound up going for a year and a half. I went because my friend always had positive experiences, so I joined but I didn't have the same experience as her at all. I was much younger, which was ok on my end but they treated me like an insolent little girl when they spoke to me. As if I didn't belong because of my age. I made few friends out of the group luckily that I still keep in touch with.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Glad to hear that people were friendly! I love my guild--we are a rural county and it's a county-wide guild--so 150+ members. We have both a morning and an evening meeting--both business,with featured BOM, show & tell, etc. sometimes a formal demo/program, sometimes not really. We have workshops, quilt days, special events, etc. Ages are mostly older (50+) women but what I like is we even have some teens involved! I was recruited to be a committee chair fairly quickly after joining (and learning to quilt) and have found that to be a great way to "settle in" to the guild--really meet people that way! Are there some cliques--sure--partly based on old friendships, neighbors, go to same church, kids are in classes together, etc. But not real exclusionary and I think it's fairly normal that when you go to a meeting you tend to associate with those that you have another thing in common with.