Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you?  JUST FOR FUN! >

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM

I'm a 2 or 3 depending on the day of the week. I have a dear quilting friend who refuses to enter my sewing area!LOL She is a 1 and a neet freak too.LOL her sewing room is always spotless! Don't know how she does it, I have watched her cut out a quilt in about 2 hour every step is exact, not a motion wasted at the end of the time all fabric was cut. Sorted for type of blocks, all scraps were trimed an put in labeled baskets extra fabric wraped on boards and put away, all cutting tools, rulers, ect. put away. thread selected for diffrent blocks, backing fabric selected and cut. everything in small baskets and set in order to be sewed on the right of her sewing machine ready for the next step. She even swept the floor and wiped all her tabels and counters down for loose threads. I got tired just watching her! LOL I refuse to sew in her sewing area too, I'm afraid if I droped a thread she would have a heart attack!!! But she is a dear and close friend and we do work well together.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Like age, it's just a number ;-)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im a 3.. but on occasion i can be a 2..
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm a 2, all the way though
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have a dear quilting friend who... is a 1 and a neet freak too.LOL her sewing room is always spotless! Don't know how she does it, I have watched her cut out a quilt in about 2 hour every step is exact, not a motion wasted at the end of the time all fabric was cut. Sorted for type of blocks, all scraps were trimed an put in labeled baskets extra fabric wraped on boards and put away, all cutting tools, rulers, ect. put away. thread selected for diffrent blocks, backing fabric selected and cut. everything in small baskets and set in order to be sewed on the right of her sewing machine ready for the next step. She even swept the floor and wiped all her tabels and counters down for loose threads.
Holy cow, I think you just described me and my friend Cindi!! We joke that we're the Odd Couple. She's neat, I'm a slob; she likes modern quilts, I like traditional; she can't stand iced coffee, I mainline it.... lol!

I'd have to say I'm somewhere between a 1 and a 2. I wouldn't say I'm "serious" and have no room for mistakes, but I AM detail-oriented and have high expectations for myself. However, I don't project these characteristics on other people's quilts.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM

I'm a 3 for sure. For me quilting is all about the fun, not perfection.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 PM

Between a 2 and a 3. Depends on the day!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM

I started out a "3"- I was a "Whatever!" quilter. Now I'm a 2, but beginning to have some 1 tendencies. When I was a 3 a flipped seam was no biggie. Now if a seam flips - which doesn't happen as often anymore - I rip and resew.

I think it's working on Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks that is moving me through stages. The lady who runs our FWS club called these blocks "skill builders". They are definately that. I used to be surprised when pinwheel points met, now I'm surprised when they don't.

That being said - I sew a lot of "forgiving" quilts that can have some wiggles and some "not quites" and still look wonderful. So ... 2 with some 1 tendencies - and some days I'm still quite happily a 3!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM

I'm a 5... that's a 2 and 3 combined... I have not seen the floor in my sewing room for a couple of months but when i sew, i assume that the points have to match... i will rip out to make that happen... I will even rip out for my friends... it doesn't bother me a bit... so is that a 5a or 5b???? i think the girls are right....it's just a number...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 AM

Good question. I started as a no.1 and it made my life very miserable! When I was learning to quilt, I picked up the idea that my work had to be as perfect as possible, and many hours were spent ripping out seams, redoing things over and over again, often in tears with frustration. But a lot has changed in my life in the past few years, and one of them is letting go of perfectionism. Now I would say I'm a no.2 most of the time, and can drift towards 3, but I'm not comfortable with that either, so - 2!