Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to kill time? >

How to kill time?

How to kill time?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I only use siccors for quiiting applique, other wise it is a rotary cutter or may studio cutter.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM

How about using tracing paper and wheel to outline a grid on your fabric - then just cut on the dotted lines.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 AM

How a out trying English paper piecing hexagons for a project. They are small and done by hand. And the accuracy of the cutting doesn't matter so much as the fabric is wrapped around to the back of the paper.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 AM

I take shirts and jeans apart to make quilts and other smaller projects and it does take longer to cut than yardage. I use the shape cut and a rotary cutter and you could use a small mat to be able to haul to work. I then throw the odd leftover pieces into a scrap bag for applique pieces. I think a sandpaper template is also a great idea and would be something easier to haul to work.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 AM

I depend on books on tape to cut down on the boredom factor. I really enjoy the look of tiny pieces -- I have thousands of 1.5 inch squares --but it takes a looong time to make something that I consider to be a useable size. All of my "quilting clothes" have a pocket for my iPod. Try audible.com and take a look at the titles and see if their "try one free" offer is still going.

I don't like cutting either (painful from old injuries) but since I cannot quilt unless I do, I try to cut every day for 20 to 30 minutes. I can usually tolerate that much boredom with the carrot of being able to piece dangling before me.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I use my rotary cutter and ruler - I don't use my scissors unless its cutting out applique - perhaps you could get a small cutting mat and use your rotary cutter - you could make yourself a special tote bag to keep your supplies with you.
If you are transporting your rotary cutter consider a small plastic tool box for the job. No accidents that way. I have an inexpensive plastic pencil box made for kids that mine lives in. A small caboodle type box would hold your fabric also. I would spend one lunch cutting strips, then another sub cutting squares just to keep it from getting boring. A small mat and ruler is all you need. If you have trouble cutting accurately, I will give you the tip that made my cutting much better. *Cut less layers, and slow down. Fast is not the goal, fun is.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM

or hexies. fun to make. get a 28mm rotary cutter
Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 AM
DJ

I once watched a woman trace with pencil around templates and then cut approx. 1/4" away from the drawn line. Then she would stitch along the line. It seems like that would be pretty accurate. She was hand piecing, but it should work as well with machine sewing I would think. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

When I started making quilts I had to use scissors. There were no rotary cutter, mats and certainly no die cutters. When the rotary cutters and mats came out I bought several rulers and I have never turned back. I am so thankful I don't have to cut with scissors. Rotary cutters used with rulers are so much more accurate. I never found it relaxing. Making a quilt took so much longer than now.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 PM

Have you thought of doing some redwork embroidery? It so fun to do and you could embroider at work without having to pack too much.