Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I m gonna kill my sewing machine...

I have thread it correct and it wont grab the under thread so what the heck is wrong?????????

I wanna sew and i wann sew NOW,lol :oops:

Power Poster
    did you redo the bobbin?

sometimes rethreading top and bottom helps - even when I think I have them both correctly done

yeah i have done 5 times already.

i have singer tradition btw a 2250 or 2259

Banned
    did you attempt to sew on 1 layer of fabric?

sometimes the quilt sandwich is too thick and the top thread doesn't make it all the way down to catch the bobbin thread.

i've had this happen with double thickness batting and super heavy thread.

did you just load a bobbin? If so you might not have pushed the button back in for sewing!

I've done that before.

i havent use this machine very much yet, its very new.

i havent quilted yet with it, my attempt now wasb just on a piece of fabric to try first.
    i have managed the first time i tried it to get it working though

check your needle , take it out nd put it back in . it might be in a bit too far.

Are you threading it with your presser foot up?

What kind of machine is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    check your needle , take it out nd put it back in . it might be in a bit too far.
    Tried that now, didnt change anything:(

so sorry, sunnyhope, only thing I can think of is to get out the manual and read it, there should be a trouble shooting chapter in it! :(

Make sure your bobbin holder is snapped in correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    so sorry, sunnyhope, only thing I can think of is to get out the manual and read it, there should be a trouble shooting chapter in it! :(

Make sure your bobbin holder is snapped in correctly?
    i think it is,, its way mum thought me anyway, i cant find the manul but i m sure there is one online,

i mite wait until 2morrow, get my mum too have a look and if she cant fix it i will take it back to the shop and if they dont have new one for me i ll ask for my money back, i did see a place in town where i could buy a reasnoble priced one.

as much as i want a proper quilting one i just cant afford one.
    if anyone has recomomandations for not pricy machines plz write them here and i will write those names down and take with me to the shop on monday.

Pull out the intruction book...at the back of the book the new Singer machines have a trouble shooting page...are you sure that you didn't put the bobbin in backwards? Sometimes that is the issue...

Just read that you don't have the book...go to singer.com they should have info on your machine.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Pull out the intruction book...at the back of the book the new Singer machines have a trouble shooting page...are you sure that you didn't put the bobbin in backwards? Sometimes that is the issue...

Just read that you don't have the book...go to singer.com they should have info on your machine.........
    how on earth can u put it in backwards?

Blog Entries
    My first thought when I read your problem was that you might have something in the bobbin case..i.e a dust bunny or a little bit of thread. To check this, take the bobbin out and run your sewing machine brush around the bobbin case.

Otherwise...
    When that problem happens to me, I redo everything. I re-thread the top; re-thread the bobbin in the bobbin case, change the needle. Make sure that the thread coming from the top goes into each and every guide it is suppose to go into.

Make sure that the bobbin thread is entering the bobbin case in the right way... example, I had put my bobbin into the bobbin case with the thread unwinding clockwise and with machine I was using, the thread is suppose to unwind counterclockwise.

Good luck.

I have more than once put the bobbin in wrong with the thread going in the wrong direction, i.e. clockwise instead of counter clockwise for my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyhope

how on earth can u put it in backwards?
    I don't know if your machine is a drop in bobbin or industrial style which is up right. If the thread is feeding from the wrong direction, it can affect the machine operation.

Blog Entries
    Is your needle in the correct way? I just had a flub with my machine and I had the needle in backwards. It kept cutting the thread.

needle is correct way, it must be somthing with the bobbin i think but it is the rite way(clockwise as it says)

i v never had these problems on my mums old sewing machine :cry:

its really bigging me this, i mean its a brand new sewing machine and u shouldnt be struggeling like this with a new machine should u?
    it kinda makes me go arghhh why should i bother sewing at alll when i m just experiancing problems :cry: :cry: :cry:

Blog Entries
    Some times we need to shut the machine off and come back to it in a couple of hours, rethread it, take the bobbin out and put it back in...and the machine will work fine...have you tried a new needle?? If they get bent just a little it would also cause this problem.

Having the needle in backward can cause sewing problems like you mentioned. Tighten all the screws. Sorry you are having trouble with a new machine, but those are the ones that cause us most difficulty because we do things that we THINK we should do like the old machine, but the new machine has new rules! Find out what it wants. :?

I have a singer and my bobbin runs counterclockwise

Blog Entries
    Usually when mine doesn't pick up the bobbin thread its due to the needle...it may be brand new out of the package, but it can still be bad. When I replace the needle...viola'...it works.

I've also put the bobbin in backwards...I've also tried to sew without shutting the bobbin door...those don't work too well :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I have a singer and my bobbin runs counterclockwise
    i checked the manual online

Blog Entries
    My machine did this at a class. I was about to toss it in the dumpster. At home it sewed perfectly fine. I took it back to class and it would not pick up the bobbin thread! DH finally figured it out, the machine was not getting enough power from the socket I had it plugged into. I was using an extension cord with a few other things plugged into the same socket. The machine would run and look and sound like it was sewing but it wasn't. I plugged it into one socket, no extension cord and it sewed fine at class.

wow, bellaboo, never thought of that, thanks, good to know! :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast