Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machines.  (Help) >

Embroidery machines. (Help)

Embroidery machines. (Help)

Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM

I have 2 Brother embroidery machines...they are very user friendly....
Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 PM

I have the Singer Futura CE200....I use it exclusively for embroidery and it does a good job. The largest hoop is 5X7 and it also has another, smaller one. You can use it as a regular sewing machine as well, although I don't use it that way. I also have a Janome 350E, embroidery only...and it's (for me) hard to understand how to use it. I have had numerous conversations with several people about it and still feel like I don't understand it. The problems I have with it stem from trying to transfer an embroidery pattern to the file on the machine, using a USB stick. Just doesn't make sense to me. So right now, I give it a shot, if it doesn't work, I go back to my Futie or use a built in design on the Janome. And there are times when I wish I'd saved my money. I have a Janome 6600P so it's not like I;ve never seen one...and money wise, I paid about $600 for my Futie about 9-10 years ago, and just paid $1500 for the Janome last year...don't know how that translates to Sterling, sorry. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 PM

I have a baby lock Ellisimo, couldn't be simpler to use, have had her for over 3 years use it all the time, no problems with it at all. There a few at dealers before you buy one. There are some machines are have to be adjusted as you go, no so with the Ellisimo. This isn't a cheap machine, but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM

I paid 499 American (new) for my Brother PE770. It was a reconditioned unit back in 2010. I love it and it has served me well. They are more expensive than that usually, I just caught a really good deal.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 PM

I've owned the Brother LB6800 (which is the Project Runway version of the SE-400). Great little machine but two things to be aware of:
1. For embroidering, the hoop size is only 4x4. Quickly realized I needed something bigger.
2. Even with a walking foot, it did not quilt/sew through several layers with even stitches.

So....since I really wanted to quilt, I traded it in for a Pfaff (Ambition) sewing machine that has the built-in walking foot (IDT ... highly recommend). Then this last Christmas I bought a stand alone Embroidery only machine - the Brother PE-770. Love it. It has a larger 5x7 hoop space, and I can be quilting or sewing on my Pfaff while embroidering on the Brother!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 PM

My sister has the Brother SE400 and likes it for sewing but she has never used it for embroidery. I have the PE500 embroidery only machine and if she wants quilt labels, she has me make them. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 AM

Just make sure it stitches 5 x 7 and bigger. 5 x 7 restricts you to a 5" square block. The 8 x 8 hoop is used by many quilters as most quilt blocks are square otherwise you have to split designs and stitch them in 2 -4 sections and sometimes alignment can be a problem. Brother is an excellent choice. If you want to stitch Disney designs, you MUST have a Brother whatever number D. (The D stands for Disney). Janome is also a very popular brand worldwide. I've had Janome, Husqvarna, Pfaff and Brother. Pfaff is the best for quilters as it has IDT - like using a walking foot for everything. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 AM

I just purchased a Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold II, so far I'm loving it. I did sell my Janome 350, upgraded because I wanted a larger embroidery area than the 350 offered. The 350 was a very easy machine to use, learning all about the Ellisimo is taking time but i'll eventually get there.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 AM

Momto5, on the 350 you do not transfer a design from the flash drive to your machine. The machine works from the design ON the flash drive. Don't use anything larger than a 2gb flash drive when loading a design on it, it will take the machine too long to find it.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 AM

My Brother is the cheapest you can buy, $300.
It only has a 4 in area of embroidery but that's enough for a 6 in block.
I love this little machine and only wanted it for quilt blocks. Easy to use and has some built in designs.
Did have to buy Ped Basic to transfer patterns to a card.
Would be nice to have a machine that uses disks but I don't use it that much to spend the extra money.
Have several red work designs that I have used and love how the quilt I made turned out.
It is perfect for me and don't want a bigger machine.