Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main? >

Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 AM

Oh yeah....main floor. The knees, lugging stuff up and down the stairs and most importantly, being closer to DH!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How are your knees? The reason I am asking that is my sister is entering retirement this year and they are adding a main floor bedroom on their house. Her knees are not good and she can't handle the stairs anymore. If your sewing room is on the main floor you can just walk in rather than climb the stairs to get to it.

This was my first thought also. My knees are getting weaker these past few years and hubby is due for knee replacements. I wish we didn't have stairs at all but I do have my sewing room is on the lower level.
Good lighting is also a priority as you age.
Good Luck with the renos.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

gigigray, My thoughts exactly. DH and I purchased two inflatable beds; 1 twin and 1 queen. DH and I have my sewing/guest room set up so it will be easy to set up the beds. We purchased the twin as an extra so if my son and his girls get to visit this summer, son will be able to sleep on it. Since my 401 is in a desk cabinet, I can tuck the knee lever up and out of the way. It will be able to accommodate a suitcase and I have a folding table to accommodate another.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I would choose the bottom floor and make the guest rooms upstairs. Let the younger generation deal with the stairs!! Hopefully, you are in good health but you have to think of the futures. I am only 61 but it is so difficult because all my friends where I live are in upstairs apt.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM

We aRe going to move to northern Idaho for our retirement and build a home on our 10 acres we have and in the Home plans that we picked out off the garage area there is a 17x10 foot bonus area that I plan on putting my Long arm machine a sewing area we were going to build a log cabin with a loft for my sewing area but my Knees are not the best so we are going with a single story home.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I would opt for the main level also. I'm 60 and already the legs are going. Stay downstairs, it will be much more fun in the end.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I'd vote for the main level room. Much more convenient. And kitchen and bathroom nearby. Your DGK will hike the stairs just fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 AM

I would agree that the main floor is your best choice. My sewing room is in the basement and now I am having hip problems so going up and down the stairs is difficult. I think we will be moving my sewing room upstairs soon. Good luck with your move!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM

I think you will be happier with the sewing room on the main floor, I know I would. The bathroom, kitchen, and laundry area would be closer. I know how hard it is to go up and down stairs and it only gets harder as you age. I wouldn't even want my bedroom on the upper level, and as Mariposa said, stairs aren't a problem for your DGD. Also, you will get more done if you can pop in whenever you feel the urge to sew.
Sue
Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM

I'm in my 70's - (A reasonably spry one) but my experience is that body parts continue to fail so my vote would be for close to the main living area. I'd rather spend my time quilting not getting there.