Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main? >
  • Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

• Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Our house is a 5 level split so 7 steps at every level. Our bedroom is one level up, three bedrooms and a bath another level up. Off the main floor are 7 steps to the lower level and then 7 more to the basement. So no matter where I go in this house I do the steps. I like it because I think it keeps us young and limber to have to do the steps no matter how slowly. I'm in the basement and I love it that all my mess is confined and I never have to clean up between projects unless I can't take it any more. Do what is comfortable for you and put the guests wherever you have left. We have 5 bedrooms and usually one kid comes over at a time.
    Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM

I go along with the ground floor, knees, and proximity are the considerations. Sounds like a dream come true to me.
    Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM

DH and I recently redecorated the living/dining rooms as the sewing room. We can still entertain company by moving a little furniture around. The space and light are wonderful, and we tend to spend much more interesting time together. It's been nice to get out of the basement.
    Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Think of your KNEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 PM

I am doing a remodel also and while I didn't have to worry about upstairs, we did/do have a wall torn out in order to get our longarm into the new room. I know it's sooooo heavy that I wouldn't want to have to worry about carrying it downstairs in case of needed repairs or really worrying about carrying any of the machines on the stairs. "Grace" is not part of my name or nature . When I find a great fabric sale, I don't want to have to lug stuff upstairs and it seems like when I'm sewing is when the dang front door becomes a busy place.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    My sewing room is upstairs. I actually share the space with my husband. His half of the room is filled with his gun collection, horn mounts, and fly tying bench. Talk about the Odd Couple. I refer to it as the "Horny Sewing Room". The advantages (?) are, I tend to get more legitimate exercise going up and down the stairs and I too have lousy knees. Another advantage of having the room upstairs is I can abandon a project for a couple of weeks and no one is the wiser. Don't have to make the room tidy or presentable until I'm darned good and ready. Also, it gives me a one floor cushion of space, when husband and I need a little time apart with both of us being retired for two years now. It helped keep our 39 year old marriage rock solid after an extremely long winter chocked full of Cabin Fever.
    I agree. IF you reach the point where health no longer allows you to manage stairs then renovate at that time, in the meanwhile use those stairs as often as possible.
    Old 04-23-2014, 02:00 PM

We are downsizing and one reason is that my sewing room is downstairs and the stairs have become a barrier to me doing as much sewing as I want. New house is one floor and I can hardly wait. With both of us getting older, it is safer having us on one floor. I would say put everything essential on the main floor -- it works better as you get older.
    Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM

I love the look of 2 story houses but since I was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago my mobility has suffered greatly. I have melanoma that first made itself known on the bottom of my left foot. My left leg from the knee down is a mess. I'm very grateful we live in a 1 story house. If you plan to retire in a house I recommend a 1 story house. That way if you do end up with mobility issues like so many people do, you will still be able to use your whole house.
    Rodney
    Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM

I am in the minority, but I love having my sewing/craft room upstairs in the bonus room! DH and I retired a year ago...and it had been a learning experience to be home together 24/7 after 40 years of marriage and working! . I enjoy holing up occasionally upstairs and sewing to my heart's content while he is involved in a project downstairs. Perhaps I will have to move to the main level at some point, but at this point, the stairs are not a problem. Have fun!
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 AM

Think about main floor. Not only will it be better as you age, but even now, it is more convenient to your kitchen and living areas, allowing you to run in and do this little thing, or that little thing. I have had both, and main floor works best for me, even at 64.