Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main? >
  • Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

• Getting ready for retirement - upstairs or main?

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 AM

In your place, I would think future and your comfort vs. the occasional "comfort" of visiting grandchildren or other guests. I would put my work place on the the main floor and make the upper level space simple and easy for guests. As maturity sets in, stairs can be a problematic. We don't like to think that but..... it does happen. You would just hate it if even a temporary injury, stiff knee or whatever could keep you from reaching your work space, but it happens all to often. Also, consider that every item you purchase for this space would need to be take up to the upper level. This space will be used daily. Make it convenient for YOU. Those beautiful grands can zip up the stairs easily and will love the special privacy that they have at your house where they can stay up late chatting, watching out the windows for the summer moon or winter stars.

There is my 2 cents. In the end, always do what fits you best! Happy planning. Now, I will read on to see what others are suggesting.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 04-24-2014 at 03:37 AM.
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 AM

I retired 5 years ago. Shortly after retirement, I went back to my office and told everyone the biggest challenge was going up and down steps at home. Being retired, I was up and down the basement steps many many times throughout the day. I advise everyone to start taking the stairs at work to prepare for retirement! My sewing area is in the family room in the basement and I don't have any problems with steps today, but it took awhile to go used to all the stairs! I am way more active than I was when I worked! Life is good! You will love country living!
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 AM

We are both in our early 80's. Believe me you will be happier if you don't have to do a lot of stairs as you get older. We sold or big house and bought a smaller one, all on one level and if we hadn't done that I would be in a rest home because I can't do stairs very well, or stand for a long time, or walk a long distance. As it is everything is close and I can work a bit and rest and work again and keep things decent. Several of our close friends and relatives are going through the same thing right now. Plan your first floor as your main dwelling area and the upstairs area can be for guests and occasional use.
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 AM

Default Upstairs or down?

Originally Posted by flybreit
    DH and I are buying (totally my idea but he has given up and joined in) a little 1960's house in the country. I want to remodel it, use it for a weekend place until we retire, then live there full time. Closer to the kids/grandkids, doctors, etc.

I am planning to remodel the house by adding a garage and master bedroom with bonus area (including dormers) above. So my question is - should I use the bonus area for my sewing area (couple of machines, embroidery, long arm and a lot of fabric)? Or should I knock out the wall between a couple of bedrooms on the main level and use that? I would then have natural light and views to the north, east, and south (would also have that in the bonus area). If I use the bedrooms on the main, the bonus area would then become a couple of bedrooms (or a 'bunk room') for the grand kids.

New area would mean new wiring, outlets where I want them; main would make it really easy and convenient.....

I would really appreciate your input!
    I had the same choice and am SO glad it is downstairs. I know I get a lot more sewing done when it is close and I don't have to go upstairs.
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 AM

I will be 77 years old next week. My sewing room is one the third floor of the house. I probably go up and down 30 flights of stairs a day. The master bedroom is also on this level. The main living area is on the second level-kitchen, living area, laundry and bathroom that has the shower. The lower area is a garage and an apartment that is rented out. Would I prefer it to be different? Yes, in a minute. I share this upper level sewing area with my husband and his model railroad. I have to be careful to keep things organized but it works.
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 AM

It is good that you are thinking about various options. I live in a one story house, used to live in a split level. I love the one story! Many of my friends who have stairs are reconsidering their options.
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 AM

MAIN absolutely😉
    i have made that error and moving it all downstairs was not fun!
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 AM

I agree with Francie Y--in doing a remodel, handicap access is an important factor. You may not need it now, but doing so the first time is easier than trying to retrofit. Don't forget doors wide enough for a wheel chair or walker, as well as "tall" toilets and grab bars. Like Athomenow, we have a split level house, 7 steps to everywhere. I have had both hips replaced since retiring. I can do stairs now but couldn't for several months after each surgery. We have installed railings on both sides of the stairs and add grab bars and taller toilet in the bathroom. I vote for main level for the sewing and laundry room.
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 AM

The stairway is way too small for a lift. [QUOTE] - In one house I have seen with a chair lift on the stairs, the chair took more than half the space of the stairs, but it worked. If you wanted to walk the stairs, it was definitely single file.

I have all important things happening on the first floor, but I try to go upstairs and to the basement every day. Upstairs, above the laundry room, with trapdoor access and ship's ladder stairs, is my husband's office. He put it there so that he would have to use the stairs every day or so. (I have a tenant in the rest of the upstairs.) I love that little room. It is my bonus room with a twin bed that can convert to a king, and a closet for out of season storage.
    We are both 80, but very active. We square dance twice a week, shovel our own snow, and mow our own big lawn with a push mower. But when we built a new garage twelve years ago, we made it with handicap access to the house. Instead of a step there, we put a ramp in the breezeway.
    Who knows what the future will bring, but if things are handy now, you may be able to stay in your house much longer. Don't think you can change this when it is needed. At that point, things can get pretty hectic. Better to be prepared. And if the house needs to be sold, having all things needed on the first floor is a good selling point.

Last edited by maviskw; 04-24-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Main floor using the 2 bedroom with wall removed no stairs, let the younger one do the stairs.