Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Next Project for 2015 >

The Next Project for 2015

The Next Project for 2015

Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Damkina View Post
Hi, however you celebrate, I hope everyone has had a lovely time and found some of that precious time to get some quilting done.

I honestly can't believe that during the last year, I've actually finished all my quilts and cushions and they've all gone to their loving new homes, the last one I finished binding about 12 o'clock Christmas Eve, to then wrap and take to my sisters house on Christmas morning. I didn't think I'd manage it.
Just one last Help4Heroes Quilt raffle prize for a Military fundraising in July is all I have left to do.
So what did I start a few weeks ago? Designing my own again from scratch! (rolls eyes) Something I said I wouldn't ever contemplate for a long time. But, it's gone from a cushion, to a small wall hanging, to end up as this monster of a wall hanging spread out on the dining room table with the actual picture at 28 x 60 inches long. It'll have to hang on the stairs wall when it's done.
It's a Mermaid and Merman with a Celtic flavour in the style from "Elaine Hamer's Drawing and Painting Mermaids.". I love the design, but I'm now in a pickle as to how to make it... I was thinking of doing it as Redwork (in blue) but keep thinking of felt as i belive it needs colour, either on the marbled cotton i already have, or doing the whole in felt, which I have never used before.
Would mix of felt for the skin etc blend well with 100%cotton appliqué? Also, I'm going to need a good pen/pencil etc to transfer the embroidery lines for the faces and Celtic knots and have heard of Websters Sulky transfer pen. Has anyone used this pen? Is the nib fine and does it do it's job?

Anyone else have a new project in mind for the New Year?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Joanne
I went and looked at the mermaids you spoke of, wow you are ambitious. I think I would skip felt in something you are going to put that much work into unless you can afford to use real wool felt. The less expensive varieties will not wash well, will be stiff, and I worry you won't be happy with it. After looking at several of her drawings, I think I would just make her body and background out of quilters cotton, then use bits of polyester from old 80's era dresses , from the second hand store. (that shiny brocade looking stuff could be fun, or various layers of sheers, I just know you will have fun making this happen. You have chosen a beautiful idea to put together.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I just finished my 12th quilt for this year. I have another started but won't finish it until the new year. I also made a pillow for a Granddog, a table runner, a table topper and two or three wheelchair covers.
I hope to get more done in 2015. My aim is to use up as much fabric as possible. The reason I bought the fabric was to make quilts and not leave it to someone else.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 AM

I have been crafting mostly this year, so only finished 3 quilts -- one for the MS150, a JR race baby quilt and a Quilt of Valor for my daughter. I did manage to make 3 more UFOs to add to the dozen or so I already have. I am already preparing for two retreats. I purchased a John Flynn laser cut Storm at Sea kit which will be my primary February project. I'll take a couple UFOs, just in case I finish the SAS. And I have started collecting fabrics for the April retreat. Other than that, I need to make myself a wallet and a purse. I have purchased several kits and have put together the fabric and patterns for several more. My goal for 2015 is to finish at least 6 UFOs and to complete at least 3 of the kits I have assembled, , including a QOV for my husband.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM

I have fabric for a quilt for my DD a queen size cathedral window and bird fabric's to make one for myself to keep at long last.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM

My next major project is going to be a Bichon quilt. I am collecting pictures of Bichons that have a definite Bichon silhouette. I will use my overhead projector to enlarge them as patterns for applique. I collected the fabric quite a few years ago. This project has been percolating in my brain for a while but I am just now feeling that I have the skill to do it.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Counting Bonnies Mystery quilt to finish up ,I have 10 quilt tops to get sandwiched and quilted.
Most were scrap quilts I did in between Bonnies clues. I,m Trying to use up my scraps, but seems like They multiply overnight.
Think I will do some lap quilts for residents at our local nursing home.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:24 PM

I have 5 kids quilts to make (2 started for boys 5 and 6, just adopted by a family here. One for a dear friends, 8 month old grandson and 2 Charity quilts through a quilt shop. I alos have 4 memory quilts to make. and who knows what else will come along!! Will be busy for a while!!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 PM

I've got a new grandchild on the way so there will be a baby quilt and who knows what other accessories for him/her, and I need to make the quilt for my grandson's big boy bed. I'll probably have to make curtains etc for him too. My daughter is rather particular, but she does have lovely taste.

I have one UFO, but otherwise I'm going to try not to obligate myself so I can quilt just for fun. I'd like to do a jelly roll quilt this year.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:48 AM

Wow! Aren't we all going to be busy bunnies during this coming year?
Cari, great idea, I wish I had thought if that earlier this year, and a great way to get out of cooking dinner
Aurora, thank you for the pen suggestion. I'm off into town during this next week, so hopefully I might find that one in either the craft or art shops. If not, it's online ordering for me too.
madamekelly, isn't she a wonderful artist? As I have already mentioned, I already have some deep blue marble cotton that I could use if felt cannot be used for a background. Yes, I intended to buy good quality wool felt and have put my christmas and over-time money aside to cover the extra expense. Ive decided not to put a limit on my Merfolk... Sky's the limit, or it can be as deep as the ocean I dont mind. I thought of using wool felt as I would like to sew each of the scales on separately, embroider it to hold it down with blenders or metalic thread and sew a tiny pearl bead between each one. I couldn't think of a way to do this with cotton fabric although I will be looking out for brocades, sheers and metallics whilst I'm gathering the stash for this project.

I love finishing a quilt or cushion and handing it over to its new home, but it's so exciting gathering the bits and pieces together for a new project too. I wish you all the best and lots of fun with your new and UFOs for 2015.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM

Damkina,

I order my wool felt from Colonial Crafts they have bundles in color assortments available in different sizes. Their prices aren't budget breakers either.