Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why enter quilt shows? >

Why enter quilt shows?

Why enter quilt shows?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:50 AM

We have a Quilt Show every other year. The biggest argument always is whether members should pay to get into the show or not. Admission is only $5.00. This decision is up to the Chairs - and changes every show. I see both sides of this argument, however if we want to assure coming out in the black, it's not going to break anyone's budget and could be looked at as a contribution to the Guild.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 AM

My Guild has a show every other year and it causes so much anxiety in the Guild. So many people bring out the talons in competition and it creates fighting and backstabbing. Many people don't participate because there is not a do not judge category and they don't feel they can win. This is why I always put something in, maybe it will help others in your Guild. I participate to participate. Just like we tell children to do their best, I do my best. I know I will not win against the professional long armers, computer pantographs and experienced quilters. But what I try to do is put something in that I didn't think I could do. This year is a DWR with Cherrywood fabrics. It's the best I've done. (So far).
Old 01-24-2016, 06:29 AM

I think guild shows should just be eye candy for the world.......no judging, either "pro" or viewers (see Jan's comment on that).
Another bit of disillusionment lately is county fairs---at least the few I've been too. Some items that have won blues are no where near what should be called be "the best".... But in questioning that, was told...ribbons have to be given, even though the item may not really be worthy..."state law"????? Interesting. My thinking would be if the only offerings in a category are blatantly not good work, then no ribbon in that category should be awarded...not the case.....
Old 01-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Maybe your guild needs to have a discussion on what the member want. We started discussion at the senior group I belong to.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

My first shows were not judged, viewers choice only. This is a great way to dip your toes into the show pool. No critiques and the people judging, as Jan stated, aren't looking for technical expertise, they just like what they like. There is something so special about seeing your quilt hanging in a show. Go in with no expectations and you won't be disappointed. I have had nothing but positive experiences being a "fly on the wall" when being near my quilt and watching other people enjoy it. Many quilters use the judges feedback to help improve areas where they need improvement. In the end, the show experience is what YOU make of it. If you wish to focus on the negative of why someone won and you didn't nothing can change that. If you can't take constructive criticism in a judged show that is your problem, not the quilt's. And let me stress it is constructive. On judges comments I have seen good things like "Great use of color" or "Quilting motifs enhance and contribute to the quilt" and problems would be cited as "some points chopped off" or "appliqued circle should be round" (there was a flat spot on the circle) or something like that. Tells me to concentrate on improving my piecing, applique or binding or whatever. Some things I'm not about to change and because of that I probably won't take top ribbons. Other show critiques I have seen are just a number rating in each of the criteria that the judges use to rate the quilt, no comments just a number. I prefer comments.
I think if you are getting a lot of pushback from guild members, don't do a judged show, do peoples choice. Then no one is critiqued for their quilt making abilities. Of course there will always be sour grapes, always. Some will complain it was a popularity contest and got all their friends to go and vote for their quilt. Nothing you can do will stop some people from complaining.
Positive reasons for entering a quilt show:
1. Ask the membership if they enjoy going to quilt shows. Remind them that if people didn't put their quilts into shows there would be no shows.
2. It is fun to see your quilt hanging in a show.
3. There is always a chance you may win a peoples choice. I have taken a second place and didn't know anyone in the guild and only a handful of my friends attended. That made me feel really good.
4. If it is judged, it can be viewed as a way to improve your quilt making by letting you know what areas need work.
5. It is a good way to expose the community to quilting and raise money for the guild.
6. This goes back to 3, If you do happen to win a ribbon, be it judged, peoples choice or even vendors choice, nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment.
7. Other quilters get inspiration, ideas and motivation at shows. Remind your guild members that "sharing is caring" so share their beautiful quilts with others who appreciate them.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-24-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:48 AM

For me I like the voters choice as I am a hobby quilter. If they have a challange quilt like use circles or log cabin square it makes you expand maybe out of a comfort zone. My sister,mom and myself will do the Horry County, SC again this year and make a weekend of ladies days. This year I did the wearable arts quilts part. Made a patch quilt then cut it up to a jacket, covered all the seams and binding all along the outer edge. Without the contest would I have tried something different, maybe but this put me on a time limit and made it fun.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 AM

I love entering quilt shows. I have done so since I started quilting 14 years ago and I have always thought that the judge's critiques have helped improve my quilting immensely. Some of the local shows have a non-judged category and I think this is good for those that just wish to display their quilts. I have scribed for the judges numerous times and this is also a very good learning experience. Judges for the most part are very fair in their comments and although I might prefer a different quilt than what they choose for ribbons, I understand why they reached the decision they did.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I think guild shows should just be eye candy for the world.......no judging, either "pro" or viewers (see Jan's comment on that).
Another bit of disillusionment lately is county fairs---at least the few I've been too. Some items that have won blues are no where near what should be called be "the best".... But in questioning that, was told...ribbons have to be given, even though the item may not really be worthy..."state law"????? Interesting. My thinking would be if the only offerings in a category are blatantly not good work, then no ribbon in that category should be awarded...not the case.....

Participation ribbons! That would settle it.

sandy
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 AM

I guess it's a term issue for me. Meaning a show is just that - a showing of all quilts. A contest is different. Quilts are judged by qualified judges in a contest but not a show. Now one local guild does 2 things. They have a judged contest where technicality and scrutiny prevail. After that they have a 'show' where all quilts are displayed and all the public votes for their favorite. Not on technical or methods but just on what people like. Participants are given the choice whether or not to be part of the contest or just the show. I can honestly say that I can only remember one time in several years that the first place in the contest was the same as the public's favorite at the show. So I really like the idea if a contest AND a show.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Our quilt shows local are always Viewer's Choice. I am in charge of two of the shows. In fact one is this weekend. Free admission, no fees to enter a quilt. We have lots of quilts entered. It's a happy stress free show. The guild's semi annual quilt show is paid admission with a fee to enter and quilts are judged. Not that many enter. Just looking at the winner the judges pick always brings feedback of Why was that one chosen? It's not as pretty as this one. Many get their feelings hurt. The only critical feedback I hear about workmanship is from other quilters! The guild's show is mainly a competition between the members. LOL
I have won several Viewer's Choice awards and they mean more to me then any judge's ribbon.