Connecting the Dots

Old 12-16-2016, 07:48 AM

Family history of many crafts....some may have been out of necessity, others just for sense of accomplishment or something in the genes. In my case anyway. Thinking back to family members of past generations......clock makers, China painters, professional seamstresses, artists............I personally have worn a lot of craft hats, but it seems that quilting has hung on the longest....but neither of my daughters are the least bit interested in it, nor are they engaged in any other crafty things.....must take after their father, who did not have any hobbies........but he was a barber, and I a hairdresser, for a good part of our professional lives. Isn't the urge to be creative a brain thing------- right or left, I forget which is creative and which is analytic.........
Old 12-16-2016, 08:53 AM

I started out sewing garments, started crochet ,knitting, cross stitch. Then came my love of quilting. Took a needle turned applique class and now want to do some wool applique as well. Needle punch with wool is on my bucket list!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I had sewn some making clothes in my 20's, but not really into it. My mother always sewed everything, and quilted beautifully. None of us 3 sisters wanted to quilt at that time. I did make one ugly quilt back then. Mom taught me hand embroidery, but back then I did only the scarves with ink stamped x's to do. I loved it though. Mom taught me to crochet some. I enjoyed that too.

Later in life I went back to school and worked as a Special Education Teacher until retiring early due to my health. I loved every moment of that, but also learned a lot about thinking outside the box.

Well, after I had to retire mom knew like I did I still needed something to keep my mind busy even if I couldn't do a lot physically. So I began to sew again on a quilt. I enjoyed it, and had a different outlook this time on all the things I could remember mom saying about "just loving to go into a fabric store and feel the fabric." In my 20's I thought What? lol.... Now I totally understand.

Right before my mother passed away I started back sewing and made a bow tuck bag. She looked at it, and said "yep you got it now." She I guess knew she was getting sicker, because after that she started giving me a lot of her fabric to try things with. I was happy to know she got to see my love for sewing/quilting like her before she left us.

Now, here is my list: Sewing/quilting, hand embroidery, flower gardening, growing herbs (I have some mint growing in my kitchen now), crocheting, I learned this past year to paper piece, and I love it. I want to learn to make more clothes of some items and they look nice. lol... I also want to try out this coming year making some lotion bars. I always need lotion and creams around with lupus, sjogren's, and diabetes so I want some to use, and some to use for gifts.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:53 AM

My problem is that I like to do so many things, and at age 85 my stamina isn't what it once was.
Among my interests/accomplishments are; making clothes for myself, daughters, and grandchildren; planning and teaching various crafts for fun in my third grade classroom; macramé; a little knitting (not my thing), plastic canvas, crewel work, crosstitch, quilting, etc. Besides quilts I am now am enjoying making purses, wheelchair bags, wine carriers, adult bibs, and various items for new great-grandchildren. I do occasionally do a little baking.
I am also so thankful to doctors who have done wonderful things for my heart problems. Life would be so boring if I couldn't create anything!
Old 12-17-2016, 05:58 AM

Interesting thread: for me it started with learning to knit age 9-10, garment sewing which still happens, embroidery, crocheting, counted cross stitch, painting on clothes, then tole painting, jewelry making and finally quilting. I still have all the things to do these but I rarely tole paint anymore. I love to knit washcloths and scarves and crochet Afghan and long wraps while watching TV. When I see my vast collection of beads, I have to make something. My embroidery and counted cross stitch is very limited now due to eye issues, but I have some projects started and waiting until eye issues are better. But I love quilting with a passion !! I believe it was true love at first sight.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

all of the above plus buying a home, trip to lancaster Pa, learning to quilt to decorate my home
Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 AM

Took a quilting class as a non sewer/rookie 10 years ago and was scared to death!!!! As a result of that class, took every class I could work in my schedule, making difficult quilts, table runners and projects including purses. Bought several machines including Janome 12000 and 1500 which are sewing/embroidery combo. Started embroidery classes and from there, made all my twin grand-babies nursery items...sheets, bumper pads with name, curtains, quilts that I free motioned and am currently making dolls for them. Never in a gazillion years did I think I could accomplish all this from that first quilt class!!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:53 AM

I did more crafts before I started quilting I crocheted, knitted even did plastic canvas and yarn, but now I just stick to quilting
Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Quilting, ceramics, painting in oil and water color, cake decorating, gardening, preserving home grown veggies and fruits.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:04 PM

I started sewing at about 10 years old. When I was in high school, I made my skating skirts for roller skating, and sewed many things for others. It seems each new thing that came out, I had to try it. At age 16 I taught myself how to tat. Still doing that and teach others. Taught myself how to crochet using a pattern that said: Not for beginners. I did it anyway. Somewhere along there I learned to knit, and did a lot of knitting over the years. When macrame was the rage, I found out how to do it and then taught classes. I made quilts, but not the fancy pieced ones like I do now. It was 1986 before I had to buy "Fabric Lovers Scrapbook" to try to get rid of the little pieces of fabric left over from all my sewing over the years; from my high school clothes to my kids clothes. I had it all yet. So instead of getting rid of all that fabric, it just multiplied! Now I give classes in quilting. If I find out how to do something, I want to teach you how to do it.