Diet and Nutrition

Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Slbram17, I love ice cream too. It has milk in it, so it must be good for you, right? I like plain old vanilla the best, and I like to stir it up until it looks like soft serve. Yummy!!
My favorite ice cream is creamy whip (which who know how much real ingredients are in that), but I love it better than any of the expensive ice creams. Love Love Love!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:41 AM

Ice cream--I make my own and some flavors with blended fresh fruits. Have sweet cherry and vanilla in the freezer now, very simple recipes. I whip the cream/milk/Truvia in the blender to make it 'fluffy', then it is not rock hard when frozen. Been blending it that way for some 30 years, did it then for strawberries and it was always creamy/fluffy. My DH loved the strawberry batches and now make it in his memory.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Maria Emmerich has some books out about Keto. It's a high fat, medium protien and low sugar way of eating. It's not a a diet, it's a lifestyle.
Eating fat does not make you fat.
Eating sugar makes you fat.
Eating fat makes you not crave the sugar.
White flour = sugar.
High fructose corn syrup = sugar.
Eat the eggs, butter, bacon, lard, meat whenever you wish. They make things taste so much better.
This is a good weight reduction way of eating.
Avoid anything with sugar: Catsup, Marinara sauce, etc.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

A serving of ice cream is 1/2 cup. It's okay to have the good ice cream at 1/2 cup per serving every now and then. I use homemade vanilla, heavy cream, full fat milk, pure cane sugar and a dash of salt. I whip it in the blender then put in countertop ice cream maker. One quart of perfect ice cream to put in freezer. Once you taste the real stuff a 1/2 cup is more then enough. My grands get 1/4 cup usually in a mini cone so it looks like more to them. They rarely eat it all at that.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 AM

In regard to complete protein and vegan diets (a vegan being someone who doesn't supplement their plant based diet with dairy products or eggs), it is important to note that a vitamin B12 supplement would be necessary. B12 only occurs in animal based products. A deficiency would take a long time to show up, and by the time it did, severe nerve damage could be a problem. A lacto-ovo vegetarian wouldn't have this problem (lacto meaning milk, ovo meaning egg). A red, swollen, sore tongue is a cardinal sign of a B12 deficiency.

All vegetarians need to be aware that heme-iron (iron fom meat) is 30% more absorbable than non-heme iron (iron from plants). Therefore, it would be important to eat foods high in vitamin C to compliment your non-heme iron, because vitamin C makes non-heme iron 30% more absorbable. So eat strawberries with your spinach, or drink unsweetened grapefruit juice with your beans. Beans and spinach are two plant-based foods rich in iron.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Farmquilter. and Onebyone, I have an electric Cuisinart ice cream maker that I love. You put the bowl for it in the freezer the night before you make the ice cream. I bought a Ben and Jerry's ice cream book that I use with it. Right now it is boxed up and put away, because it is an evil machine. It causes a person to put on weight. There should be a surgeon-general's warning on it big bold letters.

Before the Cuisinart, I had an electric churn that required rock salt. I have some great vintage recipes for that. I grew up on homemade ice cream. Portion control has always been the big challenge for me.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM

I just found a good article about sugar in the January 1st issue of the Wall Street Journal - BOOKS section. It is a story by Eugenia Bone: A Matter of Life and Death. She talks about Gary Taubes' book: The Case Against Sugar. If you're interested in eating better, these are sources of good information.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Does eating eggs then take care of any vitamin B12 deficiency?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
Does eating eggs then take care of any vitamin B12 deficiency?
JuneBillie, You asked if eating eggs will take care of a vitamin B12 deficiency. If you have a problem with a B12 deficiency, you should talk to a doctor. I think you are wondering if, as a vegetarian who eats eggs, you can get the B12 you need from that diet. But for the sake of answering your question--I guess it depends on what is causing the deficiency, how old you are, what drugs you take, how many eggs you plan to eat, and so on. First, let me say that a ordinary adult under the age of 50, who doesn't use any drugs, and who doesn't have a disease process that is interfering with the absorption of B12--would need 2.4 micrograms of B12 daily. People over 50 should take a supplement between 6-15mcg/a day. I could explain why, but it would be complicated. (There are also people who have what is known as Pernicious Anemia, and they have to get injections of B12 in their muscles.) If you take certain drugs, like Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec) or drugs used to control blood sugar (Metformin), then they would interfere with the absorption of B12, and you would need a supplement of 5-10mcg/day. If you are a vegan and you only eat plant based food, then you would need to supplement your diet, either with a multivitamin supplement, or with foods that are fortified with B12. Read food labels. Some B12 fortified foods are Veggie Burgers, Veggie Dogs, soy milk, almond milk, breakfast cereal, rice, and nutritional yeast (you sprinkle it on your food) found in health food stores. If you are a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and you are an ordinary adult under 50, it is possible to get all the B12 that you need from your foods. Here is a breakdown of the amounts of B12 in certain foods:
3 ounces lean beef = 4.9mcg
3 ounces chicken breast = 0.3mcg
3 ounces salmon = 4.9mcg
3/4 cup yogurt = 1 mcg
1 egg = 0.6mcg
1 cup milk = 1mcg

Last edited by SewingSew; 01-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I learned many years ago a balanced diet from all food groups is needed to keep one healthy. That is how I raised my kids and how I eat now. I love eggs,pork,chicken,bacon,sausage and beef. I find if I give up any one food, I start to crave it and eat too much. I also eat sweets. I try to not eat too much of anything. If I do I usually don't eat it but once or twice a year. Enjoy eating whatever you eat. This is no dress rehearsal, you don't get another chance to live your life.