Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poly-Fil batting? >

Poly-Fil batting?

Poly-Fil batting?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 AM

I think that kind of batting is the hardest to work with of all the bats. I'd ask your friend if she would mind if you used a bat that is easier to work with. Someone at my quilt club talked me into using that kind of bat to "use it up". If that ever happened again I'd tell the person to use it themselves! NEVER again for me.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 AM

I do not use any high loft from anywhere. Was given some batting pieces to do charity quilts and am not using those scraps, will donate to a church store. People can use it for crafts but I never use it for quilts, no matter who will get it.
If I will not use it in my quilts, it will not be used for others.

To save yourself a lot of headaches/frustration on your DSM, request a lighter weight batting. Feel both of you will be happier with the end results.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM

I would have no problem asking friend to return batting and to purchase your preferred choice. I assume that you are making the quilt as a favor. I only make what I like since it's a hobby and I quilt for pleasure.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice, still don't know what I am going to do but will take all of your advice into consideration in what I decided to do.. I just don't want to piece a top and then have it look bad after it is quilted. I am not that good at FMQ yet but am practicing a lot so hope to get better soon.. Thanks again
Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Maybe your friend can exchange the batting for a low loft poly batting, 3/4" loft will be a real bear to quilt on a DSM, it would be good if she wanted it tied though.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Maybe your friend can exchange the batting for a low loft poly batting, 3/4" loft will be a real bear to quilt on a DSM, it would be good if she wanted it tied though.
And maybe she wants it puffy. I guess I would call and talk about the differences.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM

I made a quilt of this size using this batting -1", though, not 3/4" -I quilted it on my SQ9185 Ccomputerized Brother sewing machine. I WON'T be doing this again. It was really difficult (and, yes, I worked from the center out) to keep my stitching straight.

A wonderful lady named Sarah, an employee at Joann's who is an avid quilter and teaches classes, clued me into a batting that is absolutely WONDERFUL!!!! I use it almost exclusively now: Soft and Bright by The Warm Company (needled polyester batting). It is definitely low loft, but the needle just glides through it, it never shifts, and the quilt looks wonderful when finished. I usually buy it off the roll, although there are sometimes prepackaged ones. I think it costs approx. $9.99 per yard, but I have never paid full price for it; I usually get it at 40-60% off. You should realize that at Joann's, especially in regards to batting, the sale price may not be displayed, so just ask someone if it is on sale.

Let me suggest you get new batting and use what you have for smaller, quilt-as-you-go projects.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 PM

I second Soft and Bright, that's my usual batting, I get it by the roll on Amazon or Walmart, they have the packaged sizes too.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I mostly quilt with hi-loft poly batting and I love it. It is warm without the weight. I quilt on one of two 9" throat machines and have no problems with it. It is easy to work with. Warm and natural or warm and white is very thin. I never sleep under a quilt made with them, so I don't know how warm they are. I use large safety pins to sandwich all my quilts. I have made over 200 quilts.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:07 PM

If you don't like this batting, you shouldn't have to deal with it, especially if, as it seems from some of the advice from people who have used it, it will mean more work and/or frustration for you. Surely it can be returned and exchanged for something you would like better. If your friend isn't an experienced quilter, surely she would go along with whatever you want to do. I hope she kept the receipt. If she's paying you, you might want to explain that you'll have to charge more if you use this batting that takes more effort to baste and sew. The false economy of buying the cheaper batting will quickly become apparent.