Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poly-Fil batting? >

Poly-Fil batting?

Poly-Fil batting?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Poly-Fil batting?

I have been asked to make a quilt for a friends son, she bought all the fabric and a roll of batting. The batting is a packaged kind from Jo Ann's.. The batting said on the package that it is a Hi-Loft Batting 3/4 inch, the distance for quilt said 2 to 4 inches. The quilt is a twin and I was planning to quilt it on my home sewing machine doing FMQ and a all over stitch.

Do you think this will be to heavy to quilt it on my sewing machine? and do you think it will be stiff after it is quilted? Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I have been asked to make a quilt for a friends son, she bought all the fabric and a roll of batting. The batting is a packaged kind from Jo Ann's.. The batting said on the package that it is a Hi-Loft Batting 3/4 inch, the distance for quilt said 2 to 4 inches. The quilt is a twin and I was planning to quilt it on my home sewing machine doing FMQ and a all over stitch.

Do you think this will be to heavy to quilt it on my sewing machine? and do you think it will be stiff after it is quilted? Thanks
I personally hate hi-loft poly bat because on the long arm I always seem to get puckers with it. And when I quilted on the DSM I've had problems too with it being hard to handle. So I'd suggest you substitute it for either a low loft poly or a 80/20 (cotton/poly) blend. OR if she's wanting a puffier look, maybe a washable wool. Word of caution about the wool--if this quilt will be washed often and then put into dryer, I wouldn't use the washable wool--only if they plan to lay it flat.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

I've had a couple customers bring that batting for their quilts- it is very lightweight so the heavy question- no, the batting won't make the quilt heavy.
you will need to really, really baste well though. Quilt from center out on a well basted quilt, if pin basting I would say every 3-4", if thread basting I would probably baste a 2" grid. I wouldn't recommend spray basting for this.
She might not have any idea what she was buying. Call & talk to her about it. It will not make the quilt stiff at all quilting the recommended amount. I found it not that bad to work with.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 AM

I am quilting a 50 x 60 quilt using Hobbs poly down batting. I spray basted the quilt sandwich. I stitched in the ditch first making a plus sign to divide the quilt into 4 sections. I continued SITD quilting around the blocks to stabilize the quilt top. Next i did free-motion quilting using the plus sign through the quilt center to quilt each of the 4 sections.
This way you keep the bulk of the quilt always to the left. I also used a home sewing machine with a small throat space.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 AM

Non quilters seem to think poly batting is the best choice whereas most experienced quilters go for the cotton or cotton blends. I think poly batting is hard to control especially on a DSM because the cotton quilt top and batting do not work together and there are areas of stretching or puckering. It can be remedied by lots of basting; however, I personally don't think the process is worth the time it takes.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 AM

I use poly batt 99% of the time with no issues but it's a lower loft batt. I've done a couple projects with a super fluffy hi loft batting and my machine did fine, I just had to go slow and make sure everything was well pinned. My walking foot was a must and when I loaded and moved things around I had to double check more than I typically do to ensure that all my layers had no puckers. Came out fine, I'd use it again (was Soft Soft Hi Loft)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
Non quilters seem to think poly batting is the best choice whereas most experienced quilters go for the cotton or cotton blends. I think poly batting is hard to control especially on a DSM because the cotton quilt top and batting do not work together and there are areas of stretching or puckering. It can be remedied by lots of basting; however, I personally don't think the process is worth the time it takes.
I've been quilting long enough that I don't consider myself to be a "non-quilter" but I prefer polyester batting because I like the poof of it. I usually use the low-loft though. I'd think the high loft might be too "poofy" to quilt with your DSM though and not get frustrated with the bulk of it. I have done both machine and hand-quilting with polyester batts. They are very easy to work with and do well with laundering. I did use a cotton batt for a Grandmother's Flower Garden simply because of the vintage feel of the pattern. Hand quilted it. Glad I usually use poly!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:16 AM

A few years ago, I did a king size on my dsm using high-loft batt, because I wanted more of a comforter effect. It is no heavier than any other, and it is not stiff. I did a combination of quilting with the walking foot, and free motion. I did it with the 3-part technique from Ann Peterson's online class (put batting on the middle third, quilt it, then add batting to an outside third using batting tape, quilt that, and then repeat for the last third)

The only warning I would give is that if you use spray basting, get it right the first time. If you try to reposition the material after you've already set it on the batting, the batting tends to come apart.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 AM

I would ask her if she still had the receipt for the batting from JoAnn's. If she could exchange it for Quilt Lite,I think it would work much better. I always give my Long Armer Quilt Lite to use in mine. She doesn't mind using it and I love the feel ofall the quilts she has done for me.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I don't know about the non-quilter statement, imho. I always use poly batting, and I wouldn't count myself as a newbie quilter. I generally use medium to low-loft though. I have made a baby quilt with high loft once. I didn't notice it being harder to manage through my DSM, but that might have been because it was a small 30x40 quilt. That roll of batting was a Poly-Fil from Joanns too, and supposed to be 1" thick, but honestly, it was about 3/4" thick. So if it says 3/4" thick, count on it being about 1/2" thick. Just my experience. If you feel uncomfortable quilting with it, I would ask the lady if she can return it to Joanns and buy what you are more comfortable working with. You are the quilter here