View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM
NZquilter

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
Non quilters seem to think poly batting is the best choice whereas most experienced quilters go for the cotton or cotton blends. I think poly batting is hard to control especially on a DSM because the cotton quilt top and batting do not work together and there are areas of stretching or puckering. It can be remedied by lots of basting; however, I personally don't think the process is worth the time it takes.
I don't know about the non-quilter statement, imho. I always use poly batting, and I wouldn't count myself as a newbie quilter. I generally use medium to low-loft though. I have made a baby quilt with high loft once. I didn't notice it being harder to manage through my DSM, but that might have been because it was a small 30x40 quilt. That roll of batting was a Poly-Fil from Joanns too, and supposed to be 1" thick, but honestly, it was about 3/4" thick. So if it says 3/4" thick, count on it being about 1/2" thick. Just my experience. If you feel uncomfortable quilting with it, I would ask the lady if she can return it to Joanns and buy what you are more comfortable working with. You are the quilter here