Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding question >

Binding question

Binding question

Old 11-24-2018, 12:25 AM

I've done this on several quilts and used zig zag stitch instead of straight stitch.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
You absolutely can do that! Be very careful when you square up the quilt and trim the batting, then trim down the backing to be double the width of your finished binding. Fold the cut edge to meet the quilt and then fold over to the front side. Stitch by hand or machine and your done! Show us when you finish.
Very good directions! The objection some have to this method is that there is only one layer of fabric at the very edge of the quilt.

When I do this, I cut that backing at least 1/4 inch wider than that "double the width of your finished binding". Fold the binding toward the quilt, but tuck the excess under the batt. That way there will be two layers of fabric at the edge.

The last time I did that, I mitered the corners. Before I start sewing anything on the binding, I fold the corners into the miter and sew from the corner just to the width of the finished binding. This needs to be firmly back-stitched. Then the corner bulk can be trimmed out and the raw edges tuck neatly underneath.

Last edited by maviskw; 11-24-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:32 AM

I feel that way will give you a stronger binding, especially if the quilt is to be used a lot.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I have done that, I find it is easier for me to just make a separate binding.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Of course you can! And you can machine stitch it down if you do not want to hand stitch it. I use a decorative stitch when I 'self-bind' and it makes it look a bit special (also covers any little wiggles in a straight stitch). I always self-bind when I make a baby quilt because they can not chew off the binding. But, the major point to remember is that it is your quilt, you can make it any way you want!!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

That's a beauty!!!!!!
I've never had any luck completely machine binding anything. I machine stitch the front and hand bind the back. I've tried decorative stitching but it won't work for me.
Let us know how it turns out for you! I'd love to do it that way.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM

I too love your quilt. Love those colors. Striking and beautiful. Thanks for the photo!
Old 11-25-2018, 05:17 PM

This is not a bad way to do binding, but unlike your separate binding, there will be only one layer of fabric at the edge, and it will not wear as well on a bed quilt as a bias binding, folded in half and then over the edge in the usual way. To my way of thinking, the bias binding is well worth it after all the work you've put into the quilt so far. That's a great looking quilt!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
This is not a bad way to do binding, but unlike your separate binding, there will be only one layer of fabric at the edge, and it will not wear as well on a bed quilt as a bias binding, folded in half and then over the edge in the usual way. To my way of thinking, the bias binding is well worth it after all the work you've put into the quilt so far. That's a great looking quilt!
Rose, did you read post number 12. I address the problem of only one layer of fabric over the edge. It works.

Some of these quilts are not too artistic; made for charity. We need to get finished quickly so we can get to the next one to give away.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Thank you VERY much for all the responses, instructions and compliments. I appreciate them all and appreciate the fact that you took time out to answer my question. I think I will give it a try as Christmas is getting close and I can't even imagine how I could possibly hand stitch that whole quilt.