Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding question

Binding question

I have a queen size scrappy quilt that is all done except for the binding. In the past I've always made separate binding to attach by sewing one side and hand stitching the other side. I am wondering if I can just cut the back a big larger than the front and just fold it over to the front on this quilt. I want the binding fairly narrow so it doesn't detract from this wild and crazy print. Any thoughts on doing the binding this way or do I need to make a separate piece?? Thank you.

Name:  IMG_7211.JPG
Views: 1154
Size:  278.1 KB

You absolutely can do that! Be very careful when you square up the quilt and trim the batting, then trim down the backing to be double the width of your finished binding. Fold the cut edge to meet the quilt and then fold over to the front side. Stitch by hand or machine and your done! Show us when you finish.

After your top is quilted, trim your back and batting 1" beyond top. Trim the batting with scissors to the top edge of the quilt. Bring the back to the front and make two narrow folds. I stitch down both sides first, then top and bottom.
    Hope this helps. Brenda

Power Poster
    Many antique quilts were bond that way. One word of caution is, the backing must be the same size as the front or you will need to put in some pleats in the front. I suggest getting it ready by cutting the batt at the quilt top edge with scissors and use pins or wonder clips around the edge to see if you can fold it over without having too much fabric.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any suggestions, but Your quilt is gorgeous. I love it.

I have done that many times.. but not to a bed size quilt. I have trouble when I trim the batting I accidentally cut the backing.. which stops me in my tracks. So when you do this be careful

here is a video that like walking through the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lYFZJE13I

Here's instructions. I do it all the time.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My sister has done that. I believe it came out okay. I have never tried it, but if you are happy with the color of the backing, you can go for it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

It's your quilt, you can finish it anyway you want to. Personally, I've tried that method and absolutely hate it, so I will do the bindings separate.

I have done many quilts with foldover binding, mainly charity ones, since it is quicker for me.

I cannot tell from your picture if you have a border. If not, you will have the problem of the quilting stitches going all the way to the edge and need to be secured. If you have a border with no quilting running to edge, there is no problem.

I understand about accidently cutting the backing and have done it a few times. It is important to fold the backing completely out of the way while trimming the quilt and then bringing the backing back in place to trim it. I use the rotary cutter and ruler. Using a scissors wouldn't work for me.

I've done this on several quilts and used zig zag stitch instead of straight stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    You absolutely can do that! Be very careful when you square up the quilt and trim the batting, then trim down the backing to be double the width of your finished binding. Fold the cut edge to meet the quilt and then fold over to the front side. Stitch by hand or machine and your done! Show us when you finish.
    Very good directions! The objection some have to this method is that there is only one layer of fabric at the very edge of the quilt.

When I do this, I cut that backing at least 1/4 inch wider than that "double the width of your finished binding". Fold the binding toward the quilt, but tuck the excess under the batt. That way there will be two layers of fabric at the edge.

The last time I did that, I mitered the corners. Before I start sewing anything on the binding, I fold the corners into the miter and sew from the corner just to the width of the finished binding. This needs to be firmly back-stitched. Then the corner bulk can be trimmed out and the raw edges tuck neatly underneath.
    Last edited by maviskw; 11-24-2018 at 05:33 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I feel that way will give you a stronger binding, especially if the quilt is to be used a lot.

I have done that, I find it is easier for me to just make a separate binding.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Of course you can! And you can machine stitch it down if you do not want to hand stitch it. I use a decorative stitch when I 'self-bind' and it makes it look a bit special (also covers any little wiggles in a straight stitch). I always self-bind when I make a baby quilt because they can not chew off the binding. But, the major point to remember is that it is your quilt, you can make it any way you want!!!!

That's a beauty!!!!!!
    I've never had any luck completely machine binding anything. I machine stitch the front and hand bind the back. I've tried decorative stitching but it won't work for me.
    Let us know how it turns out for you! I'd love to do it that way.

I too love your quilt. Love those colors. Striking and beautiful. Thanks for the photo!

This is not a bad way to do binding, but unlike your separate binding, there will be only one layer of fabric at the edge, and it will not wear as well on a bed quilt as a bias binding, folded in half and then over the edge in the usual way. To my way of thinking, the bias binding is well worth it after all the work you've put into the quilt so far. That's a great looking quilt!
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    This is not a bad way to do binding, but unlike your separate binding, there will be only one layer of fabric at the edge, and it will not wear as well on a bed quilt as a bias binding, folded in half and then over the edge in the usual way. To my way of thinking, the bias binding is well worth it after all the work you've put into the quilt so far. That's a great looking quilt!
    Rose, did you read post number 12. I address the problem of only one layer of fabric over the edge. It works.

Some of these quilts are not too artistic; made for charity. We need to get finished quickly so we can get to the next one to give away.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Thank you VERY much for all the responses, instructions and compliments. I appreciate them all and appreciate the fact that you took time out to answer my question. I think I will give it a try as Christmas is getting close and I can't even imagine how I could possibly hand stitch that whole quilt.