Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To all the Free Motion Wanabees >

To all the Free Motion Wanabees

To all the Free Motion Wanabees

Old 06-26-2019, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not "pitiful" at meandering, and have improved greatly over the years, but I don't think I'll ever be one of those who can quilt feathers, wreaths, etc., but that's okay for me.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I keep coming back to this post. I also tense up when I begin and I keep reminding myself to relax my shoulders and breathe!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:08 AM

When I first started quilting I considered myself "the queen of stippling". That's all I could do and would do. Then I kept seeing all these beautiful quilted pieces and really wanted to do something more. I bought some books and one of them had a sheet of plastic in between the pages that you could trace the pattern on, wipe it off, trace again and again and again.....
That Really helped my muscle memory and I stated to learn how to do feathers.
I can't draw worth a lick, but put it under my needle and I'm good to go.
It's discouraging when you're a beginner and see all the beautiful work that other people do...but just keep at it. It will come. Grab a sheet protector and a dry erase marker and just sit and play. You Will get better!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-26-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 AM

Thanks Schill93 for the encouragement and inspirational reminder that we can do anything if we put in the consistent work! I’ll be heading to my linen closet to recycle some old sheets into practice quilt sandwiches. We can do this!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

​Congratulations on reaching your FMQ milestone! Now on to a ruler foot and rulers!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Actually, I find ruler work easier than FMQ.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Isn't it fun? I use to have a LA. I liked sit down free motion better. I love using the rulers. I like the Angela Walters brand with the stop and start places. I have recently learned edge to edge using my embroidery machine but it takes longer and really a pain to keep hooping so I went back to free motion. I mark a grid on my quilt and free motion between the lines edge to edge. I can have a quilt quilted in no time.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Isn't it fun? I use to have a LA. I liked sit down free motion better. I love using the rulers. I like the Angela Walters brand with the stop and start places. I have recently learned edge to edge using my embroidery machine but it takes longer and really a pain to keep hooping so I went back to free motion. I mark a grid on my quilt and free motion between the lines edge to edge. I can have a quilt quilted in no time.
Yes, I have been dabling in that too. When I first tried them, I thought: "She made it look so easy".
Just point it and go - so quickly, so flawlessly and so precise. Ugh !!!

I am improving slowly on that score, but it has made me long for another machine with a larger harp space and a high shank. When I get considerably better at this, I will probably justify having to get a bigger machine. I can't use Angela Walters rulers very effectively due to my low shank machine. I have had to purchase the shorter rulers I can find.

But, I can see there is a place for both. A quilt can be a true work of art. Maybe someday.....
Old 06-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
You know, I think in the back of my mind I don't think I can FMQ because I'm so terrible at drawing. But you are really changing my mind..........
I used to think this way...but it isn't true. If you can write (or print) your name, you can fmq.

Thanks Schill for posting this. It is very encouraging.
My experience was very similar. One day....it just clicked, and I haven't looked back either.

I have also learned that people learn differently, and appreciate different .... kinds (not sure that is the correct word to use), of fmq. Some like organic, free flowing lines vs graphic, straight organized designs.
some like to follow (sew on or trace) drawn patterns, others like to wing it.

Once you find your style it's easier to practice what you enjoy.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 PM

I am a newbie as well and my big breakthrough came when I moved on to what some might consider more difficult designs. Other than basic stippling I had such a hard time with the all over designs. When I started to try feathers and motifs it went so much better....my brain seems to do a much better job of communicating with my hands.

So don’t be afraid to try something you like even if it appears to be above your skill set.

I also made made a large throw just to practice quilting. The back is hilarious but it gave me pressure free experience moving a more realistic sized practice sandwich through the machine.