Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Question on this quilt >

Question on this quilt

Question on this quilt

Old 12-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Lovely quilt! Glad you found a special spot for it. Your grandson would probably appreciated a simple I Spy quilt with his favourite characters fabric in the squares.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:04 PM

That is beautiful (and I'm glad that you decided not to pass along to grandson until much older and settled). I have a quilt that may be from about the same age (early 1930''s) that I had evaluated by a certified appraiser about 10 yrs ago and was told about $300--but there was also an unused baby quilt with it.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
This quilt was on my Grandfathers farm when I was growing up. I since inherited it and am planning on passing it to my grandson for his first big boy bed. The instruction to my daughter this blanket is to be used only on cold nights as an extra throw. My wife cautioned I need to have some one who knows quilts as they can be valuable. I welcome this forums input.
merry Christmas to all
I wish you would open it up for us to see the pattern well. I think it's in excellent shape and also think it would value more because it's been so well preserved. Also, the size would be taken into consideration.I love the orange color too with the white background. Please show us more photos. It sure is a treasure I'd hang on to, no matter the monetary value. Merry Christmas to you both too!-Toogie
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 AM

I totally agree with Teen. That is a hand pieced and hand quilted quilt. It is a real treasure and I consider it a piece of art. You should definitely have it appraised by a certified quilt appraiser. Orange was a popular color in 1930’s quilts. Finding an appraiser might be a bit hard but check with local quilt stores. Keep it out of direct sunlight and refold it a few times a year. Would be best if you store it rolled in a pillow case..not in a cedar chest. Do make a label. Fabulous quilt!
Old 12-22-2020, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

That's a beauty! In those days most quilts were made by hand or machine but hand quilted. Lots of time went into that quilt. I wonder who made it. Do you know?
To be honest, a young boy wouldn't really appreciate that at this point but will when he's older I think.
Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-22-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Opened

Per your request opened
Attached Thumbnails c4e401b6-6d1e-48db-a631-073e5a376e90.jpeg   fb26e7f4-7ca3-47d7-81a0-11d589690172.jpeg  
Old 12-22-2020, 07:15 AM

Is was a gift from a great aunt to my Grandmother- it was a prized possession- only brought out as an addition cover on a cold night. She said it had magic powers to keep you warm! 😊
Old 12-22-2020, 07:25 AM

I suggest getting an appraisal. Maybe not gifting it for a big boy bed. I know if it were my son, it would have been ruined those first few years which coincided with potty training. Write down all your information, include an appraisal, then pass it on. It's a beautiful gift.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:43 AM

This is one beautiful quilt and it wouldn't hurt to have the value of it checked out. Just looking at the picture it is hard to guess at what it might be worth. It looks to be much loved.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:53 AM

On My! A treasure & piece of your family history. Yes definitely add a label w/ the information as years to come it will remind other family members of its importance. So glad you are hanging on to it. Just the thought of how many hours it took to make this beauty is mind-blowing. Thank-you for sharing