Discouraged about Quilting

Old 11-13-2023, 12:07 PM

I feel your pain. I too participate in craft fairs. I started with quilts, and it didn't take me long to realize people don't want homemade quilts. I added home decor items, jelly roll rugs, table runners, pillows and can't keep up. I sell so many it's mind boggling. I sew, sew quite often (weekly), but until this summer, I couldn't tell you the last time I actually made a pieced quilt, it's been a few years. I was actually asked to make quilts for two of my grands this summer. They are flimsys right now, tucked away until they move into their new house, which is looking like next summer now. They'll get finished then. But, back to topic, it's frustrating to put time and effort in a quilt, only to bring it home from a craft show. I actually just donated four throw size quilts I lugged around for several years, and never sold, to a local nursing home. So for me it's just home decor sewing for the most part, which I am just as happy with, it still fulfills my creative bug in me.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:13 PM

I'm so sorry that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped. I think it may not have been the right sale for your wares. Young people in general do not appreciate or want hand made things in their homes. They are more into "experiences" now which is fine, but your experiences do not make a comfortable home. Look at all the people who suddenly wanted to redo their homes or buy new ones during covid lockdowns. They actually had to spend time in their bare uninviting home and hated it. They didn't get that it wasn't the house itself. It was what was in it. It's sad that people don't value homemade creations, but there's not a lot you can do about it. Make quilts for those who will appreciate them and maybe do some home dec items to sell.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-13-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I like to go to craft fairs - but mostly to look and check prices.

So - while I appreciate hand made items - I do not buy many. I buy nylon scrubbies - those crocheted pot scrubbers, and that is about it.

In fact, at this point in my life - it-s going to yard sales - mostly to look - groceries, gas for vehicles, and medications.

Maybe people do appreciate what they are looking at - and do not have the space for items or are cash poor at the moment.

What I did buy at the last quilt show I went to was 20 bags of scraps and fabrics/notions that other quilters were selling.

But at 82 - I am trying to move more stuff out than bring in. Not easy.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Please don't get discouraged. This has happened to me with new items---just did not sell---table runners---ugh ! A friend told me some people do not like certain prints on their tables. I cut them up and made potholders, and they sold. Craft fairs are tricky. Last year I did a show in mid-December, thinking it was a waste of my time so late in year but turned out to be the best-selling show of the year ! Hang in there !
Old 11-14-2023, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Thank you all for your encouragement! (And your compliments!) This show had mostly older people shopping. The store that hosted it was a home dec store, so that's the kind of customers I had: people looking for home dec.. I did learn a few things, if I want to try again. I sold the one table runner I had, so I plan to bring more next time. Also, at this time of year, keep it "Christmassy". People are looking for Christmas. So if I do this show next year I'll have ornaments, pot holders, and runners. Maybe some zipper bags. Small things, under $40. Decorations and small gifts.

I did sell a throw sized afghan I crocheted (to a man!) made with beautiful yarn. And one baby quilt. The things I sold were things I pointed out to the customer and talked about. I learned that if you get excited about an item, chances are they will get excited and see greater value in it than if they had just picked it up off the table. Maybe by bringing only small items it won't be so much work.

Thanks for indulging my pity party!
Old 11-14-2023, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend who has done well selling aprons. She uses fun fabrics that will appeal to people with different hobbies or professions or that are appropriate for the time of year. Her aprons are extremely well made. I think she always uses the same pattern (appropriate for men or women), but the fabrics are all different, so people feel like they are buying a "one of a kind" item. Even so, after doing this for many years and thoroughly enjoying going to the shows and meeting the buyers, she is starting to realize that the profits are no longer what they once were.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:01 PM

I just started to quilt and sew after many years. The cost of everything is insane unless you get stuff on sale. I understand why so many do not sew any more. Thankfully I have most of what I need. People that do not sew have no idea of what it cost.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I agree, Carol. They also don't realize the time commitment to making stuff.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:07 AM

I think people aren't ready to spend much on craft items. They don't shop with a mindset for impulse buying
a more expensive purchase like a quilt.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:15 AM

I think many, especially kids, like the feel of all the fleece blankets that are out there. You can pick them up for as little as $10 many places. I have started to use fleece for the backing on kids throws, quilts, etc.. That way it is a soft cozy back to snuggle up with and that seems to be what they want.