Discouraged about Quilting

Old 11-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Default Discouraged about Quilting

I just finished a weekend craft show that was hosted by a well established antique and home dec store. They have a large following, and had an "Open House" this past weekend, inviting in local artisans to participate in a craft sale. My daughter and I spent hours setting up my booth, which I think looked great and very inviting. But during the hours of the show, the vast majority of the foot traffic didn't even LOOK at what I had. Do people just not like quilts? I sold a couple of pieces, enough to make participation worthwhile, but I anticipated so much more, with Christmas around the corner. I had pretty children's and babies' quilts that would make fine gifts.

So I'm rethinking things. Are there not many people anymore who want nice quilts in their homes? Have I been living in a bubble, of fabric, quilty friends and quilty activities? Maybe most people do not appreciate quilts. (Quilt Muggles, I mean...) I have given away countless donation quilts over the past 10 years or so, and I'm wondering if they were even appreciated or just put away somewhere or passed on. I am questioning my whole identity as a quilt maker and giver now.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:46 AM

It is really hard to make money with quilts. People in general don't value the creative Women's Arts that used to be a homemaker skill. Unless you happen to be Amish, Gee's Bend, or some other known group. I know it must be disappointing to put in such a great effort and not have the response you expected. I have wondered what sells at shows. I hope it just means finding the right show to display. I know I make my quilts for me and share when someone expresses an interest. So enjoy it for your creativity and expression.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:56 PM

Sewbizgirl, this sounds like a question for redit or facebook, or tictok!

Old 11-12-2023, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I use to do craft show with my cousin. She sold potpourri, I sold fabric projects. I never knew what would sell best. Some shows I broke even on booth rental, some shows I made a lot of money. My cousin rarely made money because she thought scented wood curls were potpourri. No one wanted a bowl of that on their table. (she just couldn't understand it) But I decorated the booth and did draw a lot of customers to it.

I sold a lot of sachets. Pretty fabric filled with her wood curls. LOL

Have three quilts on display. One for girl, one for boy and one for either. No more. Or just one for either. Keep the extras in a bin to show if interest shown. If fabric items, do not have the booth overflowing with them piled up. Only a few on display of each different project. Keep the extras in a box so you can show the choices when a customer stops to check them out and seems interested.
A simple uncluttered booth nicely decorated will draw the customers. I have walked away from booths that overwhelm me with choices. White table coverings and white background is the best color for booth displays with fabric items.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-12-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:54 PM

Sewbiz don't be too discouraged. It was only one show.

Money is very tight right now for many people. And it seems like the younger they are, the more people spend their disposable money on electronics and new toys. At least that's how it feels in my world.

I know it's nice to have a hobby pay for itself, or at least help to do that, but if you really enjoy making things, I hope you let that influence your life more than anything other people contribute to it....or not.

Maybe finding the best items to sell in your area and employing some of the booth/ sales tricks are the secret as onebyone suggests.

I hope you continue to try, and are able to have more success at other venues.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:29 AM

smaller items might work well. Aprons, table runners, table quilts/cloths, hot pads/mats, doll quilts, tote bags of all sorts, etc.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas. If I do this next year I will have less on my table and it will mainly be Christmas ornaments and Christmas decs. That's what people seem to want.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:06 AM

I think a large part of the problem is people do not understand, nor do they appreciate the cost, time and effort that goes into making a quilt. They figure if they can get a "blanket" at Walmart or Target for $39.99 why would they pay for a handmade/quilted one of a kind piece? Even my close friends sometimes wince when I give them a price. I enjoy quilting, but I don't think anyone should be expected to work for free. (unless you want/decide to give it away.)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
Sewbiz don't be too discouraged. It was only one show.............
Exactly what I was thinking!
It may be simply that this was the wrong "audience" for your offerings.
This was your first time, and maybe they weren't expecting your type of items?

That being said, some thoughts to help you reflect and analyze ....

How did other vendors do at the sale/show?
For those that have participated before, did they feel sales were on par to the past?
Or did they notice a decline?
Did some have similar items to yours? Past participants or not? Their results?
Would your location have affected the interest in what you had to offer?

Good Luck ... do not be discouraged! Look for other possibilities!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-13-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:03 AM

My heart goes out to you sewbizgirl, I have seen pictures of your quilts and they are gorgeous. I have 3 adult kids mid to upper forties, and they do not appreciate anything nor do they take care of what they have. When I would make something whether it was a quilt, table runner or tree skirts, they would ask me why I bother, nobody would want it much less take care of it. I did give up, I did try an make some things for them and my grandkids, but they just looked at me like I was nuts. I thought if I made them something when I was gone they would have something to remember me. But that was a fail. I tried buying the grandkids ornaments, start a collection for them, but you know what they did, played with them till they were destroyed. My kids didn't care that their kids destroyed them. So that's why I gave up.
It's just sad that people cannot understand the worth in the things we make, or the thought and love behind it.
Don't let this discourage you, keep trying. You do such great work.