Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bargello question >

bargello question

bargello question

Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by JudyMN
You can make a bargello without a pattern. Choose 8-10 quarter yard fabrics.(not fat quarters) Cut three 2 1/2" strips from each. Sew the strips together making into a color run. Make a tube with two stratas. The third strata is cut in half then joined to make another two strata tube. Cut the tubes into strips ranging from 1 1/2 inches to three inches. Arrange the strips moving the top down one place. It looks best when the adjacent strips are only 1/2 inch larger or smaller. This keeps the curve smooth. Play with your strata tubes before cutting the tops. You will get the feel for the curve. Remember you will lose 1/2 inch in width for each seam.
A couple of questions, if you don't mind.
* With the quantity of fabrics and colors you mention, how big of a quilt would that make?
* I don't understand what you mean about the 3rd being cut in 1/2 and joined. How do you mean it is joined?

Thanks!
The third strata is cut in half width wise (21 inches). One half is sewn to the bottom of the second half making it two stratas long.
This makes a lap quilt about 45 x 50 depending on how narrow you cut the strips.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Wow very pretty ok now to get my fabric choices
I'm currently enrolled in a beginner's bargello course at www.quiltuniversity.com. I've just completed the first project, a basic bargello in spring colors. I'm disappointed by what I created.

But what I've learned from this Lesson #1 is to stick with patterned fabrics that add texture but "read" as solid colors. In my very limited experience, fabric with highly contrasting colors doesn't add anything to a bargello. But I've only taken Lesson #1!

FWIW, I've read that solid color fabric tends to look "lifeless" in bargello quilts, but I have no personal experience to speak from.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.
* With the quantity of fabrics and colors you mention, how big of a quilt would that make?
* I don't understand what you mean about the 3rd being cut in 1/2 and joined. How do you mean it is joined?

Thanks![/quote]
The third strata is cut in half width wise (21 inches). One half is sewn to the bottom of the second half making it two stratas long.
This makes a lap quilt about 45 x 50 depending on how narrow you cut the strips.[/quote]

That does help explain it. Thank you!