Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures

Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by anicra
Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Oh, boy, this one really jumps off the screen! I love it and the 3-D effect. WOW
Thanks, Kathy. I was really studying yours. My hubby wants me to make a mariner's compass for his office but i've been resisting because it looks difficult. I've never paper pieced before - was it a difficult quilt to do and would you do it again?
Yes, I love Mariner's Compasses. This pic is the center of a queen-size quilt that our quilt club made as a raffle. It's the same star only in Christmas colors. The green points ended up looking like trees with the gold small triangle at the bottom. I normally don't do the same quilt more than once, but I made an exception on this one. I have mad emore Mariner's Compass quilts than I can remember. Just taught a workshop to 10 members of the quilt club. They all did really beautifully. I am so proud of all of them! Can you see all their smiles. I think they were sure they couldn't do it and I proved them wrong!!! It is so easy and now they know it is.

Workshop on Mariner's Compass
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122286[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122281.jpe   attachment-122291.jpe  
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Kas

All of these are so nice.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 AM

i love the Mariner's Compasse, one day i will havago. I looks so fiddly and hard. Please tell me that it was easy. :)
Old 11-09-2010, 03:24 AM

what a cool thread!!!

Mine is Grandma's Flower Garden. My 80 yr old aunt hand pieced it back in the 50s or 60s. I added the border so that it will fit her bed when i am finished.

The project manager in my avatar is SweetPea..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122300.jpe  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by anicra
Oh, boy, this one really jumps off the screen! I love it and the 3-D effect. WOW
Thanks, Kathy. I was really studying yours. My hubby wants me to make a mariner's compass for his office but i've been resisting because it looks difficult. I've never paper pieced before - was it a difficult quilt to do and would you do it again?
Yes, I love Mariner's Compasses. This pic is the center of a queen-size quilt that our quilt club made as a raffle. It's the same star only in Christmas colors. The green points ended up looking like trees with the gold small triangle at the bottom. I normally don't do the same quilt more than once, but I made an exception on this one. I have mad emore Mariner's Compass quilts than I can remember. Just taught a workshop to 10 members of the quilt club. They all did really beautifully. I am so proud of all of them! Can you see all their smiles. I think they were sure they couldn't do it and I proved them wrong!!! It is so easy and now they know it is.
OK! Yours is beautiful! Love the Christmas colors! How about a tute? PLEEZE PLEZE PLEZE
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 AM

mine is a broken star, using aztec colors .I just liked the way they looked. I havent finished it yet, I am going to add some applique to the white squares
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122359.jpe   attachment-122360.jpe  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM

My Avatar is a block from a free BOM by Dawn Heese of Linen Closet Quilts. I've attached a link to her site. I'm working on the swag border now.

http://dawnheesequilts.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122367.jpe  
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi, the red and green is perfect for a Xmas wallhanging!!! Once again, beautiful!!!
Happy PP, Mona/Kutnso
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Hi, me again---did the whole class use the same Pattern?? They all look so different. They really do look very happy with their projects.
Nice teaching, Mona/Kutnso
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by pennyj123
i love the Mariner's Compasse, one day i will havago. I looks so fiddly and hard. Please tell me that it was easy. :)
It WAS easy - the workshop compass. This compass is a simpler version - great to start with. only 16 points and larger pieces. The curve is ever so gentle - almost a straight line, so setting the circle into the setting square is easy-peasy!