Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-23-2023, 07:02 AM

I'm considering UFO-ing the triangles in square that have confounded me. (Clue 2)

I tried using the 60 template..just to find out it's not 60.
I tried making templates (yay cereal boxes!) And while this works, it's fiddly and slow.
I tried paper piecing and ... Have picked and resewed each piece at least twice.

Sewing time should be relaxing time and I'm not finding these units relaxing. Might jump straight to the 3/4 units (clue 4) and the stitch & flip corners (clue 5) just so I can feel some.forward momentum.

Good news- it's winter and I can destroy the evidence* in the fireplace.

*Bad blocks. Completely messed up and unsalvageable. The good ones get to stick around.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=Rff1010;8629089]I'm considering UFO-ing the triangles in square that have confounded me. (Clue 2)

Sounds to me like a good idea to just set this clue aside for a bit. Go onto the others. When you are ready, see if you can find some you tubes to watch on making this block and just get some scraps and make a some practice blocks. No need to unstitch them, just toss if they don't turn out. Sometimes it just takes setting it aside for a while, and then trying again. You might even find a friend who will help you get it! This block I have found challenging too.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:15 AM

Rff1010 - Don't give up - just take a break and move forward with the other clues. I have found when I struggle with a BH unit that I'm just glad when its done (close to perfect or not), but then when I come across the same unit in another quilt, BH or not, it seems so much easier the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around. Probably because I had lots of practice on the first encounter.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:27 AM

Rff1010, moving on to other clues sounds like just the right move.

IF the latest clue translates to a block center, the mock-up I have on my wall (based on an imagined block surfacing on Quiltville) doesn't seem to want more navy. This could be because of the different neutral I'm using (gray and white). So at this point I'm considering pinks (I noticed how well a piece of pink leader/ender went with both my navy and my neutral).

Old 12-23-2023, 01:59 PM

Some templates are worth buying. With tri-Rex ruler I had no problems.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:00 PM

Got #5 cut out. Then did some organizing. Backed up to #3.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:40 AM

I'm another that got the tri-recs long ago, and have not had a problem with that type of block since. I also have the easy angle and companion angle, and they get used all the time. I do have a lot of specialty rulers that sit in drawers and don't see day light very often, but these ones have a spot in my ruler rack that sits on the cutting board as they get used quite often.

I've got the last clue sewn and put in with the rest - now I'm cutting for the New Years mystery.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:38 AM

I've made some headway. I finished sewing the clue #4 QSTs, and they are arranged with their HSTs pairings, ready for sewing. I've paper pieced five sets of 6 for clue #3 (and seem to be picking up some speed there, as every one is the same as far as fabric placement).

I spent the day yesterday trying out fabrics as a potential block center (focal fabric), and rejected them all. Then I was doing my exercises (which I do in my sewing room -- there's just enough room on a diagonal for the exercise mat if I move the ironing board next to the wall), and my eye fell on three navies on my shelves that I'd overlooked when I was gathering fabric for the mystery (one of these is pilfered from another planned project). Now that I understand more about what will work with my neutral, I think these three fabrics are novel enough that they might work. One is a half yard, one a fat quarter and the third a full yard. I'm thinking that I might use them all, but will decide after I try them as squares with the neutral corners.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:40 AM

No sewing to report. We are still in Michigan, decided to go back home on Christmas Day and spend one more day being able to visit with MIL and do a few things to help. I am missing my own home and things but I know I will be going back. We still don't think that will be possible for her, poor thing. She thinks the rest of us are making too much over "a couple of cracked ribs and a concussion". I'd be unhappy and angry too, but there are other cognitive factors in play.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:23 PM

I was feeling good about the decision to pause clue #2 and decided to make progress on #4 (the QSTs). Things were going great. I was already mentally composing a post here ....

And then I realized I put the navy in backwards.

Hubris came and reminded me who's boss. I just sat the wrong ones aside. Who knows what the future holds. Then I recut and checked the directions - it's right in there "sew with the neutral on top". I was able to get 6 sets done today and cut enough to do another 10 sets tomorrow