Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 10-31-2023, 06:08 AM

Default Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

It's one of my favorite quilting times of the year -- The Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery Quilt project for 2023-2024. Welcome to all, whether first time, multiple year participants and especially to the lurkers and those that watch but aren't doing the project. I hope you all will share your projects, pictures and questions. For me a big part of this is the sharing I can't tell you how much it means to me and inspires me to see all the different variations.

What it is: Bonnie Hunter, a nationally known quilt artist shares a mystery project each year with sewing/cutting starting on Black Friday, the day after (US) Thanksgiving which this year is Friday, November 24, 2023. There will be (usually) weekly clues on Fridays that generally end sometime around January - February. This is a gift from Bonnie to the rest of us, while the mystery is going on the clues are free. After the mystery period you can still buy the pattern presented in a non-mystery format.

There is no swapping or mailing. Nothing to join. You can subscribe to Bonnie's email newsletter if you wish or just visit the site. We will provide the clue links here, but they will go to Quiltville.

Bonnie's Quiltville Website:
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2023/

Mystery Specific Link:
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2023...roduction.html

Our first clue is a month to think about fabric and get ready. We have paint chip numbers as a handy guide to help our color section, but when you look at the pictures she provides of the fabrics she selected, it is a general suggestion.

Rules: Bonnie asks very little of us, but we are guests in her project so we try to observe her requests. As she is the ultimate person responsible we are asked NOT to share numbers, measurements, or "spoilers" for people who really enjoy the mystery aspect. She will post any corrections needed on the website. It can be frustrating to be looking for something simple and easy like what Accuquilt die is/can be used -- but if Bonnie isn't telling we shouldn't either! We are able and willing to point each other to key points in the directions. Counts should be avoided because they can be used as spoilers or might have an error (that is, it is better to say something like "I got about half my units done today" as opposed to "16 out of 34 done"). While we love seeing each other's fabric selections and work in progress, we should avoid showing what we we think is the final layout before that is released. Besides, she usually puts in some things to preserve the mystery for as long as possible. She also asks that we don't take all the paint chips from our local stores. I think we can handle that.

What to expect: I think Bonnie gives us very clear directions, and often multiple ways to achieve the end results (which can be slightly confusing). But, if you've never done a roughly queen sized project before, this might not be the perfect way to start -- or maybe it will be the impetus you need! I'd say higher than beginner skills are needed, finished measurements often have pieces around 1" square and the overall design comes out best if precise. Her projects are typically very scrap oriented and often use small amounts that can be very random, sometimes she will have us match or make some identical units. To help prevent frustration, it is important to read and understand the directions, and that is part of what we are for on the boards, a support and encouragement group.

Not everyone is suited to mystery projects. I completely understand. Some people want to see the end result before they commit either time or money buying fabric. Bonnie will usually have suggestions on making fewer blocks for a smaller project. Speaking of fabric, there are many options available. I try to use all actual scraps/stash in colors close to what Bonnie recommends, I know I am getting really low on some color families and maybe will have to buy some fabric this year... A number of shops (on-line and local if you are lucky) will sell bundles, either for the entire project or specific color groups. It is a great time to use fat quarters. Some people use yardage of one fabric per color required. Some people will do marvelous things completely changing the palette to suit themselves or other challenges like using all solids or all 30s prints or whatever they wish.

To go along in "real time" as the clues are released can be quite a lot of sewing. Bonnie will usually have at least one light week for catch up, and if you can clear some time most clues can be completed reasonably in a day if your fabric/sewing space is ready. For me at this point of my life and this time of year, I have low demand on my time and energy and being winter it is nice to have something to do inside. Plus I have a dedicated sewing space and don't need to take down/put up equipment every day. There is just no way I could have kept up when I was a young single working mother or if I had a more active/larger family with more holiday commitments. I do recommend printing out the instructions and doing at least a couple of units per week if you can. One thing I can say, my quilting organizational skills and supplies have very much increased since I started doing these!

As "host" I see my biggest participation as being a cheerleader and in reminding everyone that this is their own project. They will all be wonderful and amazingly both the same yet different and we can get through the long slogs and we all make mistakes at some point. There are a lot of Bonnie Hunter UFOs (mystery or otherwise) out there and that's ok. Again, your project and your time schedule -- we are doing this for fun. I will try to be quick on posting each clue link or if there is a correction, but if any of you come on before me -- feel free to post! You never know when my power might be out or real life has come to take me away from the computer or the sewing machine but I promise to keep up until the end. If you are more of a lurker, I can guarantee if you have questions someone else does to so go ahead and post but if you'd rather send a private message that works too.

Let's have some fun and cut up some fabric! I missed Chilhowie last year because I was packed up to move, and don't have the Rhododendron project quilted yet but I am ready to warm up my sewing machine and my cutting for this year!
Old 10-31-2023, 05:36 PM

Iceblossom, thank you for hosting this year!

I did not follow Bonnie on her blog as she talked about her trips, or I might have had an inkling about the colors. I was thinking we might have some green this year, since the last two quilts had no green.

I'm not anticipating sewing along, but I did shop my stash for fabrics (such fun), and will print out the clues and follow everyone's progress. I had a large amount of a light gray with white print to use up, so that is my designated neutral.

edit: Try to ignore that green up in the right corner. I was thinking of doing the green instead of the light blue, but I couldn't get the values right. Having the gray rather than white neutrals made things a bit more complicated.

Attached Thumbnails img_7969_fotor_fotor.jpg  
Old 10-31-2023, 07:30 PM

I'm looking forward to lurking! This thread has been such an encouraging place over the last couple of years as I've got back into quilting and it's always so much fun to see how different everybody's project turns out to be. Joe'smom - you're quick out of the starting blocks - I haven't even made it to Quiltville yet! I'd better go take a peek. :-)
Old 11-01-2023, 05:17 AM

I'm all in! Thank you, Ice Blossom, for hosting this year. Perfect explanation of the rules of the game. I think this year will be a great sew along. So many Veterans quilts are made in these colors. I will probably make all the units but two smaller quilts for gifting. The estimated yardage amount indicates it will be a big quilt. Or at least a lot of seams.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:37 AM

Woohoo! The clue has been released, this thread is up and it looks like I won't have to buy fabric for this year. I know I am very low on the aqua tones Bonnie has been using for the last few projects and they are not going to be an issue. Nor will most of us need paint chips this year, anyone yet planning on other colors than red, white and (2) blues??

Joesmom -- great fabrics! I am looking forward to pulling fabrics later today. I will be going scrappy with the blues, might use just one red or one neutral, have to see what I have. I rather like the unifying effect of a single fabric in scrappy projects but don't think I have the yardage needed for a single piece.

Even for those of us who do intend to sew along, I think printing out the clues is a very good idea. For the first time that I've been doing these, I have a color printer which will make a lot of steps easier... now if I can find my hole punch!

Gemm -- glad to have you lurk. You often have good advice and insight and you are fun to have.

Toverly -- the projects usually turn out to be about queen sized and yes -- have a lot of seams!

I'm not fully moved into my house or my sewing room yet. Yesterday as a cold snap moved across the central states, our furnace (which we had serviced and was working) quietly shut down. Probably unfair of me to think it is anyway connected in my husband trying to set the thermostat for daytime and nighttime temperatures. Anyway, Chuck the furnace guy lives just a mile or so away and will be here soon so the interior temp will hopefully be above 50 in the next couple of hours. If not, definitely a good day to move around totes of fabric looking for the blue, red,and neutrals.

I am also finishing up on Christmas themed string quilt but right now it is too cold to sit and sew. Don't know if I will have that top together by Black Friday but I'm gonna try!!
Old 11-01-2023, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I know for a fact I won't be joining in as I'm having my second knee replaced on Nov 8 and it took me over a month (maybe longer) to get in my sewing room the last one. However I will print the clues and follow the thread. I like the colors this year but I don't always like how my quilts turn out.
Iceblossom, thanks for hosting this!
Old 11-01-2023, 02:46 PM

I'm sure I will be joining in again this year. I have just started a Roman shade for my daughter's front door, so I can't even start to look for fabric until it is done. No distractions! I will probably make a half size as I have for the last few years. Just don't need another large quilt but it is fun to sew along with others and I think I learn something every year. Increase accuracy for sure. Full disclosure- have yet to quilt the last two, plus a couple of other quilts, non-Bonnie. Thanks, Iceblossom for hosting!
Old 11-01-2023, 05:40 PM

Thanks Iceblossom for starting this thread. I am a true lurker and admirer of those who take this on live. I will collect the pattern and sew it one day. I do love the colors for this one so might jump in at any time. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:14 AM

Good morning everyone. Thank-you IB for hosting this this year. We have a Nice 39F temperature now. Nice day to organize my sewing room in anticipation of the sewing beginning.

I’m undecided if I will be using winter colors (what I call January colors). 1st idea: dark blue or purple, if I don’t use purple for the blue, use purple for the red color. white-cream colors, then add a tourques thin border to go with the final border. Or… Dark brown ( a piece I just adore), light to light-medium browns, cream(s) for background, orange for red. The good news I do not have to go shopping. All fabric from stash. Once I decide better I will post my choices and decide the week before sew time. Now back to organizing my sewing room.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:25 AM

Hooray for Chuck the furnace guy! He got us heat again, plus it's warming back up again for the next few days.

I didn't get any sewing or fabric pulling done but today I will find the solids tote, I might have a big enough piece of red but will probably use a variety of prints. I know I have enough blues, both dark and light, just have to find them. And this morning in a moment of weakness, I did order one of the neutral packs from Bonnie's suggested store. That should be plenty mixed in with what I moved.

Last month I did have to buy a some greens for my Christmas string quilt, that was the first fabric I've bought in almost 2 years. It was all on sale and I had a strict $20 budget. This package was the first fabric in truly years that I've bought at full price... I am done with the sticker shock but I do sympathize for people without excessive yardage already at home. I did give away a LOT of stuff when I moved but justified that I moved a lot of fabric on the current cost of yardage. I really compared the idea of paying the moving costs (both physical and financial) and ultimately decided that I am just not constitutionally equipped for the idea of spending large amounts of cash on fabric -- I am perfectly happy to buy large amounts of fabric, just not the price to pay.