Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-04-2023, 05:32 PM

I'm with JeanieG - I love the parasol fabric! :-)

I also agree with Stitches23 - the colours feel very RWB/American patriotic which doesn't really resonate for me. I wasn't planning on doing the mystery quilt but if I did I think I'd try to find a different colour palette as well.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:26 PM

Oh my goodness! Blue!!! I have so much scrap blue in all shades I am totally doing this mystery this year. This will be my 3rd mystery, I think. Grassy Creek and Chilhowie were fun though I didn’t use Chilhowie colors. I have already pulled my fabrics. I have a variety of red solids in differing shades (slight shade differences). I do a lot of neutral scrappy backgrounds so I have a bunches. I’m set.. I don’t have her rulers so we’ll see how her instructions turn out. Likely do only half size….big enough to meet QOV guidelines.. we’ll see!

Thank you, IB, for hosting. Looking forward to hanging out with you’all this year again!

Good luck, Susie and Jeanie, with your knee surgeries!! Sending healing vibes and praying for surgeon steady and competent hands!!!
Attached Thumbnails img_1290.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 11-04-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:35 PM

Joesmom and IB…. I like your early fabric pulls so far. Just like any BH mystery, it evolves as we go!
Old 11-05-2023, 06:26 AM

Teen -- I think my range of solid reds is closer to yours than my previous picture showed. I think my pictures are being washed out a bit by the flash, need to try some settings.

Today's picture shows some of the indigo/dark navy fabrics next to the parasol fabric. Is interesting how things work out, the large piece of indigo with the beige flowery burst shapes looks much lighter to me than in real life. But the smaller print works fine with the others even being the same colors. One of the advantages of using a camera for feedback, I'll have to take it under advisement... (Using black and white photos can also help a lot in determining value as opposed to color in stacks of fabric)

For those concerned about the red, white and (2) blues theme looking too patriotic, my guess is it will be more like the pieces she shows with the red square in a square design contained by the blue. By yardage we have twice as much blue as the red, and almost as much neutral as blue. I'm expecting something very tiled in appearance. By the way, I really like that Silk Path quilt she recently released (the brown one at the top of the clue/blog).

With all my projects, there is usually something I would do differently if I did it again. With mystery quilts especially, there are good justifications on waiting to see the reveal and choosing your fabrics when you know more.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6424.jpg   100_6423.jpg  
Old 11-05-2023, 11:44 AM

Bonnie mentions having a navy "focal fabric" to go along with the other navy fabrics. Hers is about xxx yard (see her instructions) so that may be something we need to consider when we pull our fabrics.

Last edited by Stitches23; 11-05-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:58 PM

I haven't done a Bonnie mystery in a while but I have been following along the mystery threads. So I started to pull fabric for this one. Blues, reds and neutrals, I should be able to pull it all from my stash. I have pulled out some of my Japanese Indigo fabric as well as some other navy and medium blues, along with red fabric. I rarely use solids so I picked out some favorite reds. I'll either go with one red fabric or just do scrappy reds, haven't decided yet.

Attached Thumbnails img_1052.jpeg   img_1053.jpeg  
Old 11-05-2023, 03:27 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Print out

Has anyone else tried to print out the introduction/clue one on Bonnie‘s blog. When I have tried, I’ll get a screen telling me to download a new PDF program to be able to print it out. This has never happened before on Bonnie’s blog and so I am a little leery of doing it. I wonder if downloading this program is safe. I always download all the clues and put them printed in a folder. All help is appreciated.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:45 PM

Terry, I didn't notice anything special when I printed out my copy. I'd be leery too! I try to keep up with stuff but I don't have the correct app to open up supplemental text for my audio books either, think I'm using a basic adobe reader option but not sure.

Here's the link I used from the Intro --
https://quiltville.com/pdf/IndigoWay_Intro_full.pdf

Maybe see if it still has the prompt for you.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:35 AM

Wow -- that was fast. Today the fat eighths I ordered for neutrals came! One picture shows mostly the eighths, the other shows some of the neutrals I already pulled. I've mostly been pulling the light blues today but got all excited when something (other than bills) arrived in the mail!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6428.jpg   100_6427.jpg  
Old 11-06-2023, 02:00 PM

Terry in the ADK, my advice is, never click on anything that pops up!