Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM

OBW and bargello. I also don't like Drunkard's Path. Probably too much information, but my dad was an alcoholic and I don't like the name or the pattern. I know, I need to get over it. There are plenty of other patterns out there so I'm not missing anything by not making this one.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meme2six
OBW and bargello. I also don't like Drunkard's Path. Probably too much information, but my dad was an alcoholic and I don't like the name or the pattern. I know, I need to get over it. There are plenty of other patterns out there so I'm not missing anything by not making this one.
I had a Mennonite quilt from the 1960s that was called the Old Maid's Puzzle because if an unmarried woman tried to figure out all the possible variations, she'd be an "old maid" before she was done.

Took me quite a bit of work on Google several years ago to discover that the "English" name for it is Drunkard's Path.

I still prefer the name I saw it under first. I remember as a child looking at the blocks and trying to imagine how they would look if put together in a different order.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by MsEithne
I had a Mennonite quilt from the 1960s that was called the Old Maid's Puzzle because if an unmarried woman tried to figure out all the possible variations, she'd be an "old maid" before she was done.
That's fascinating!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Swap Hosts

Just saw a log cabin I like, so scratch that one off the list.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147079-1.htm
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I cannot stand scrap quilts...any scrap pattern at all. "Random" just doesn't fit my style. I'd rather eat worms than make one. :oops: :lol:
GOOD THING all our quilting "ancestors" could "stand" to make all those random, awful, scrap quilts ... or quilting would have died out in the 1800's !!
We wouldn't be here today, enjoying quilting - of ANY sort !! :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Got to add "Watercolor quilts" to my - not liking it so much list.

Just like was mentioned before: One quilter's dislike is another quilter's favorite. I may not "like" a pattern, but that doesn't keep me from acknowledging and even appreciating the craftsmanship and color selection.

One time I went to a show with my MIL. DH drove and I was hopped up on drugs. All of a sudden MIL started laughing. She told me that she KNEW I was on drugs coz I had just commented "how cute" that Sunbonnet Sue quilt was. (Normally I don't comment about them at all.)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM

I cannot stand scrap quilts...any scrap pattern at all. "Random" just doesn't fit my style. I'd rather eat worms than make one. :oops: :lol:
I don't do random very well, either! Some are very pretty but alot have just too much..randomness. I shouldn't be surprised that none of family is into scraps either. I quess we're just boring...lol.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Golly, I really dislike liver, calamari gives me the creeps and I can't even think about eating sushi...but none of that would stop me from sitting at the table and enjoying your company while you chow down on any of those dishes. :D

With one glaring tasteless exception, this discussion of divergent tastes in quilts is as simple as that.
:thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM

I'm not a great fan of the country style quilts? Do you guys have that in the US? I haven't seen any reference to it on this thread. It tends to be earthy colours pictures of dogs and cottages and love hearts...just not my thing really.

I love the modern stuff - scrappy and crumb etc. I also love Picture quilts- I saw this great one of monsters - its in a kit = but my kids would love that.

I also like the more trad stuff as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
GOOD THING all our quilting "ancestors" could "stand" to make all those random, awful, scrap quilts ... or quilting would have died out in the 1800's !!
We wouldn't be here today, enjoying quilting - of ANY sort !! :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:
I daresay you are thinking only of patchwork and not quilting, for they were considered separate in the days of our ancestors. Quilted objects date back to between 6th and 9th century Asia, bed quilts showed up in Europe in the 12th century and quilting became very popular by the 16th century. None of it was patchwork, let alone scrappy.

Patchwork developed when the colonists were forced by poverty and the navigation Act of 1651 to mend their quilts year after year because they were forbidden to make any textiles of their own. Once fabric became more available to them a hundred years later, block patterns evolved.

So, even if patchwork had never come on the scene, quilting would still around today in many forms...probably even Bargello. :lol: