Anybody starting seeds?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Do you mean deer food? I used to start seeds inside and plant when it got warmer, but I refuse now to work that hard to feed the deer.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM

On my agenda for this morning. DSD needs table this afternoon for studying, so I have to be done before she gets here.

Patti
Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM

We can't plant here until middle of May. We could still get some snow or a freeze. I tried to plant seeds inside last year, but I think my pots were too shallow. So I am debating. I think I need deeper pots! It has been nice here, I am ready to get into my garden!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM

I live in Central Texas and it gets very hot and humid in the summer. I have tried to grow just tomatoes for the last 3 years, (and want to try again) and each year I will get some growth, and then they die! I really don't know what I am doing wrong not to get tomatoes! Help????
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Lyn

have you checked for tomato blight? Yellow spots on leaves, if so then plant them in another place and it could also be they don't like where you plant them.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lyn
I have all the seed starters and was so excited until I read don't start seeds until the end of March. Well only one more week and it is to get close to seventy today but tomorrow and the rest of the weekend is forty one. Spring in New England. Oh yeah, I still have a lot of snow on the ground.
I already started mine ... one more week started will be good for them when you go to set them out to 'harden' before planting ... we can't plant until Memorial weekend here and we still have a lot of snow too, but I am enjoying watching it melt :D
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by pojeda
I live in Central Texas and it gets very hot and humid in the summer. I have tried to grow just tomatoes for the last 3 years, (and want to try again) and each year I will get some growth, and then they die! I really don't know what I am doing wrong not to get tomatoes! Help????
Tomatoes are heavy feeders, too, so add compost when planting and then fertilize regularly. Or just keep dumping more compost at the base of the plant. They will grow extra roots off the buried portion of the stem and be very happy about it!

If you have had spots, those are likely to be blights (which are fungal diseases). And you can pick those up if you bought nursery-grown seedlings. We had that problem two years ago here, it wiped out even the commercial crops and our county extension traced it to infected seedlings sold by an big-box store that they would not name.

You will be completely safe if you start your own seeds in and grow them in (very large) pots. Unless your neighbors have infected plants. Because this disease is both soil-borne and windborne.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 AM

just got are greenhouse up to day.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Oh, I'm so glad to see this! I forgot about getting them started and I really wanted to do that this year. I won't be able to tackle it until next week. Hope that isn't getting too late.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

We have started tomatoes,peppers,cukes,watermelon, lettuce, beans,peas,jack-o-lanterns,brusselsprouts,spinach,and flowers.