Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overlock Fear >

Overlock Fear

Overlock Fear

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM

One very important thing when threading......Start with the thread on the far right, and work to the left. And each time, pull your thread to the back and get it under the pressure foot. When you dont go in order, it won"t make a proper chain. I"Ve had my serger for probably 20 years ( actually two) and I still don"t know how to do anything but edging and seams. But I love it!!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Swap Hosts

Thank you for all these great tips. I am passing them onto my son. What I really want to do is a rolled hem on very light weight fabric and edging on cotton for kitchen towels. Hopefully neither of these will be too difficult. But I suspect they will be. *sigh*
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Thank you for all these great tips. I am passing them onto my son. What I really want to do is a rolled hem on very light weight fabric and edging on cotton for kitchen towels. Hopefully neither of these will be too difficult. But I suspect they will be. *sigh*
OH - well - when one has a reason for learning how to do something - one is more apt to work on the project.

The suggestions for different colored threads is EXCELLENT!

Also, practice on scrap until you get the hang of it.

Another also - different fabrics behave very differently - so if you go from denim to sheer, for example, practice on scrap of whatever before going on the main project.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Once it's threaded, you won't need to thread it again. Just tie the new thread to the old and pull it through. You may have to thread the needle, but that's all.
Just what I was going to say!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM

A couple of girls in my quilt guild told me last year they were taking a class on sergers as they each had theirs for years and never used it much. You might look for a class like that or call the Singer store for help.

Annette in Florida
Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

I know what you mean about being relunctant to use it.
I started by serging Little Dresses for Africa then went to serging the edges of fleese for chairity blankets. You just have to hold the manual in one hand and do exactly what it says about threading and adjusting. You will be ok.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I have my son working on it now. He tried sewing and got a fabric jam. I told him to run the chain first and he did. It wrapped itself around whatever levers are down there. DH came home for lunch and joined in with a flashlight. It's on my dining room table. I'm staying out of there.
I'm wondering if he threaded it in the correct order. It's not enough to thread the machine correctly; you have to thread each thread in an exact order.

If you ever break a thread, you need to cut all threads and re-thread in order also; it's not enough to just re-thread the one that broke.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Swap Hosts

I'm thinking this contraption is headed for a garage sale ...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Or someone who sells or repairs sewing machines? They should be able to
show you how to thread it. Can't hurt to give them a call or better walk in
the door and ask.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM

A not so LQS offered a serger class that I took a few months ago. A couple of hours one evening per month for as long as you wanted to attend. First class, threading; next basic stitches. Well worth my $20/class and 45 min. drive. The instructor recommended a book (which is not handy ATM). When I can get back into my sewing room in a few days, I'll post the title of the book. If I remember correctly, it happens to be a Bernina book but she said if she had bought that initially, she would not have needed most of the others she had available for reference. I agree, it's a great book. I was reasonably confident after just 2 classes. The rest were for techniques I have no current interest in.