Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger or overlock machine >

serger or overlock machine

serger or overlock machine

Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM

:mrgreen: Hi, I am a very primitive quilter....but somehow I am almost finishing now my first quilt..(and full of mistakes...)
Since I am going to purchase a serger machine I would like to know will it be any help for me in my future quilting projects? and I do have many of these :lol:
If so, any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Hi,
On one of the sewing shows the presenter said a serger gives one a perfect 1/4 inch seam and is good for quiting, that is, sewing the top of a quilt together. I think this must be a four thread serger stitch. This would put a quilt top together faster than a sewing machine depending on the pattern.
PeggyD
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I don't use my serger for quilting projects. The seam is so much bulkier that it doesn't make a nice finished project that presses well. I have used my serger for sewing denim jeans together for a big painting tarp, but my regular straight stitch sewing machine is what I use for quilting. S.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I have had a serger for 20 plus years and used it for all sorts of other things, but never wanted to use it for a quilt. Think of all the thread you will use. And if your seams are not accurate, tearing them out is awful. I sould stick with a good sewing machine that does a good, solid, locked stitch with a 1/4 in foot. That is about all you meed in sewing equipment.

Other will have different opinions, but this is mine and it is free.

June in Cincinnati
Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM

HI,
Thanks so much to you and the other quilter for sharing your knowledge on using a serger for quilting as I am knew to quilting, thanks for sparing me some disappointments. I didn't think of how much thread would result.
PeggyD
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Hi,
Your quilt is gorgeous! I like your color selection too. I hope to learn to be as skilled as you are. What is the name of your pattern, or is this your own design?
PeggyD
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Hi PeggyD. If you check www.kayewood.com and search for her 6 hour quilt, she uses a serger when she makes it. I don't have a serger, but I think it might be a great idea for that particular quilt especially if you're thinking of using it for a charity quilt.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the information, I'll look her up. It must be a special pattern as some other quilters have said you would use too much thread and it would be difficult to pull out to make corrections.
PeggyD
Old 08-05-2007, 02:24 PM

:mrgreen: Thanks very much for the fast replies...I will check the URL...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM

I have found the serger works well for simple patchwork for clothing or other applications where I don't want to line it - like some tablecloths, or a big duvet cover I did for a lady last year. She wanted patchwork on both sides but didn't want it quilted. A serger made it much more durable and washable (and it was FASTER!).

Little girls' patchwork twirly skirts are selling well on ebay, and those are good to make with the serger, too.