poison ivy

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by luv-e
It hurts like Heck but bleach dabbed on it......
i was so allergic to it i didn't even have to touch it, i'd get it from petting the dog who was probably in it. i was the only girl allowed to wear slacks to school as it oozed all over my legs. please go to the hospital if it gets worse... that is sometimes required.
This is me too. My grandmother in Fergus Falls was confined to bed with it for two weeks way back when!
And I didn't realize what I had for over two weeks, even went to the dr the second week, until it clicked that we were taking care of a dog that had belonged to my uncle (he had just passed away) and they had lots of poison oak around there. Then I used Calamine lotion and that took care of it. It had started on my left foot and steadily moved up my leg until it had reached my thigh! I can guess how you are feeling now. Good luck with getting rid of it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Yikes!!

It seems like it's spreading - maybe you should take yourself to a doctor??

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
My DH had it pretty bad because I told him the "stuff" was Virginia Creeper so he started yanking and yanking with bare hands - not a care in the world. He did ask "are you sure - looks like PI) and I assured him I've never had a problem with it so it *must* be Creeper. I honestly did think it was creeper because I had been pulling by hand without problem for years. NOW I know that it's possible for people (apparently ME) to be immune to Poison Ivy! Whodathunk? And I've never had a prior exposure to it ... just immune. Stinging Nettles however affect me far worse than they do Hubby.

Anyway ... one of the important things to remember is that the rash from PI "oozes" (even if only slightly) and everywhere it oozes it re-infects. So it's important to "blot" it not wipe it. And whatever you use to blot the rash area, don't use on a uninfected area. Paper towels are best as they can be tossed after each use.

Also, please remember that Poison Ivy should NOT be burned to dispose! The poison will go up in the smoke, people will breath the smoke and infect their throat, nose, lungs. VERY VERY BAD.

Good luck I hope your feeling better real soon! I feel for you.
I too must be ammune to poison ivy because I have never had it even when I pulled it off trees in our yard. My DH and oldest DS have a terrible time with it. DH was hospitalized with it when he was younger. My DS had to have two rounds of the 10 day cortisone treatments to get over it when he was 16. They also have a bad time with insect bites.

You are so right about not burning it. One of my neices was taken to the hospital because of breathing in the smoke. She also broke out with it all over the front of her body. She had been facing the fire in which it was burned. For some people poison ivy really is very poisonous.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

love reading this as my DH has a really bad case of PI right now and it is still spreading a week later...
Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Dr. put my DD on oral cortisone when she had it in her eyes.

Also go to the drug store and ask for Burrows solution. It comes in a little packet you dissolve in water. Soak a cloth in it, wring it out and lay it over affected area. It's very soothing. I had to do this when i got poison ivy bad while pregnant. They couldn't give me any of the usual treatments.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Colgate Toothpaste will make it feel better and dry it up.....or Blue Star Ointment for the itch......dont laugh the toothpaste works.......
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM

OT but the toothpaste works well on bites, too.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM

I had a bad case like that when I was 12. Ugh - bad memories! What worked for me is practically impossible to do. I did not scratch for 3 days or nights. That meant I was awake for 72 hours fighting the itch. Iit was summer, so I was able to wear as little clothes as possible to be 'decent' to reduce rubbing on the rash. I was miserable and no doubt I made everyone around me miserable. Gotta share the pain!

That, calamine lotion, corn starch baths and time cured me. I have been extremely careful not to get poison ivy again.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Poison Ivy seeks me out . I use Tecnu to wash whenever I come in from the yard. I get it bad too but this really helps. you can wash in the shower with tecnu and luke warm water then just pat dry do not rub. It really helps. good luck.
Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
Tecnu is sold at Walgreens so should be available at the other drug chains. Don't know about Walmart, but they carry everything else in creation so they probably have it, too. It's not very expensive and is made for poison ivy/sumac/oak. I hope you get better soon. I had poison sumac and was not a happy camper for a while...literally.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I was told by a lady--75 yrs young.......to use the tooth paste on my posion oak, it felt wonderful.......also my cousin used it on her gson between his finger and she said it worked......whats a $1 to try for relief..........I belive in COLGATE NOW......