Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creativity >

Creativity

Creativity

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM

I was exactly in your shoes 6 months ago - I just picked what ever materials catch my attention, and easy pattern and just ran with it. If I over think it, it becomes too complicated. I am now on quilt number 7! Let your heart sing!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

I would start by finding a pattern with colors I liked, then imitating those colors and making that quilt. Once you get the hang of how the colors go together, it becomes much easier.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Do what you like. Remember, there is no quilt police! Look at quilt magazines and tear out pictures of the ones you love. Start out with a kit, or pre-cuts where the coordination is done for you. The more you see, and do, the more you will learn. Remember to enjoy it!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

So glad to hear that you want to try this wonderful craft.

I'm enerting the way-back machine to when I first started. I knew a about color (art major), nothing about quilting.

It might be helpful to you if you try to use a two color quilt to start with. Do a search for patterns and see what you can find. I think I made an Irish Chain. Another idea would be to use one of the great kits available to start with until you get comfortable with color. Taking a class can also help with color comfort. But remember, It is your quilt, others can only guide you.
peace :D
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 AM

When you first start it is good to join a nice,friendly group with more experienced members who are willing to impart knowledge and share.You will have much more fun that way as well. Don't waste your time with unfriendly groups if you encounter them - move on until you feel comfortable and encouraged.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jerse
Have never made a quilt and only recently joined the forum. As I've stated I'm not good with the computer and it took me 3 days to read all the help topics and rules.

I've studied "quilting" on the internet, read books and magazines, asked questions, and done practice blocks till I'm blue in the face. I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!
I started by finding a color combination that I liked in somebody else's quilt and using it....with a different pattern. It was the mid 80's and while I would probably not make a blue, yellow and red quilt today----it got me started! Here's another idea: Go find a print fabric that you really, really like. Then use the colors from it in your quilt.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 AM

You can't be told too many times to go with what you like. Look at magazines, look at quilts, notice what is in common with the ones you like. Do you like a lot of contrast in the colors in the quilts, a not of light colors and a lot of dark colors in the same quilts? Do you like quilts that are made of several shades of the same color? Do you like only pastels? Do you like mostly jewel tones? Everyone has favorites and these change from time to time. None of them is right or wrong, they just ARE. Don't start a log cabin pattern with strong contrasted fabrics if you really prefer shades of one color or pastels. Find out what you prefer first, then look for a simple pattern to make in the colors you like. When you find your pattern make something small like a table runner to see how you like using the pattern, then make the quilt. Invest $20 to test it, not $120.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM

Alot of companies sell fabric lines or fabrics that coordinate well together. I had to get over everything not "matching." I was very afraid to use anything but solids together and now I realize it is so much better to use tone on tone and very colorful fabrics. You can also ask for help at a good LQS. It is not an inate talent in all of us to be able to pick coordinating fabrics... practice and experience and it will all come together. BTW... have fun with it. Quilting is meant to be fun, not stressful. You can also start with 2 color quilts. That is also a good way to get going...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jerse
Have never made a quilt and only recently joined the forum. As I've stated I'm not good with the computer and it took me 3 days to read all the help topics and rules.

I've studied "quilting" on the internet, read books and magazines, asked questions, and done practice blocks till I'm blue in the face. I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!

When choosing fabrics, I have found my digital camera is a great tool. I take photos of different fabric combinations, then review the photos to see how they look. This helps me a great deal. I have found that an actual camera works better than a phone camera.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 AM

Since making 12 quilts, several door hangings and bow tuck bags - some from kits - I still have trouble w/color. I look at pics and say wow how did they do that w/all those different pats and colors that just combine together so beautifully. I still look to others for help w/colors. I guess it just takes time along w/trial and error. Thanks to all here for all this advise.