Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you wear hand braces at night? >

Do you wear hand braces at night?

Do you wear hand braces at night?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM

I wear them on both hands every night, the kind with metal in them, if I try going without I wake up with hands all numb. Even with them on, I still get some numbness.

This seems to be an epidemic among crafters.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

I have hard plastic braces that were custom made for me about 13 years ago. I only wear them when I start having pain, numbness and tingling in my hands. I will wear them every night for a week or two and then wear them every other night for another couple of weeks and then I can go without them for a few months before I have to repeat the cycle. The first night I wear them is rough and I usually end up taking them off halfway through the night, but each night gets easier. Better than surgery in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM

I wore the braces at night for a few years, and they did help. I didn't wake up to numb and tingling arms and hands, anymore. It got so that I was having my hands "fall asleep" while knitting and sewing, and that's when I decided to have the surgery. I had the Right hand done, then waited 3 years and got the other one done. Best decision I ever made. I can knit, sew, and do data entry at work with no troubles. I know it does not work for everyone, but it sure helped me.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM

Also went to dr today, wearing braces on both wrists. Also told to get vitamin B-6. The feedback from everyone is encouraging, thank you for the question and all the positive responses.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM
cjr

I wear night time braces. Have helped CT, been warring them for many years. I will need surgery again eventually.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I just could not wear those braces. The neurologist told me the earlier I
have surgery the better. My mother waited too long for her and it didn't
make any difference. If braces don't work, get the surgery asap.
I'm so glad I had it done. I have learned not to overdo it. Not too much
typing, cutting, sewing, etc. Takes lots of breaks. Listen to your hands.
It doesn't matter how long it takes to finish a quilt at least I can still
enjoy doing what I like. I am definitely not in the quilt racing category. ;) :D
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Stick it out and you will get used to them and they sure help the pain, I wore them for years , Finally gave in and had surgery wish I would have done it a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM

yes the work
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I have recently heard two people who had tunnel carpal surgery that did not get a great result. One is in as much pain, if not more since her surgery and the other has numb hands. Her hands are so numb that she had to quit work. I think if the alternative to braces is surgery...I'd embrace the braces!
I too was diagnosed (by an orthopedic hand surgeon) with carpal tunnel. He ordered the wrist braces and they helped for a while. He then gave me cortisone shots in my right wrist that helped for about 3 mos. I did the injections for about a year and a 1/2. Being a surgeon, he wanted to do the surgery. I said no because of the fail rate. I was working for a pain management physician at the time. He did some ultrasounds on my wrists and right elbow and did find some impingement in my right wrist but the real problem was in my elbow! I had a nerve impingement in my elbow. He gave me a cortison shot that worked for about a month. The numbness came back. I noticed that if I was standing, I didn't have any numbness in my hands. I gave into the ortho surgeon and scheduled my surgery. As a nurse, I did some research and found that it could possibly be a neck problem. Went to a chiropractor, found a pinched nerve and arthritis in neck from a car accident 20 years ago. Cancelled surgery, had adjustments and treatments at the chiropractor for about 3 months and still do home stretching program and no further problems!! (knock on wood!)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM

Yep! wearing them for nerly 2 years now. I have carpel tunnel in both wrists, I couldn't sleep due to numbness and tingling. They made a world of difference. it did take some getting used to, since i have them on both hands but well worth it for me.