Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

Blog Entries

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

Usually I don't wear anything special, but from time to time I need to go out and inevitably I am covered with little snippets of thread, fabric and batting. As stylish as this look is, I would love to find a pattern for a "sewing smock" -- nothing too complicated. Any ideas?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I guess I'm lazier than you are. When people see the threads on me and point it out, I just say, "I come with strings attached."

My alternate is, "Careful. Those are my heart strings."

Most people chuckle and drop the subject. Quilters generally say, "I'm going to have to start using that!"
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Small town here. Pretty much everyone I see knows I sew. I get people picking threads off me and saying, "I like this color." I just laugh.

How about an oversize men's shirt?
    A light seersucker woman's robe/duster?

I would need a lot more than a smock, I can tell you that. I get strings in my shoe laces, sleeves etc. I love the responses above. One time someone pointed out a thread on my shoulder and I told them it was my pet string. Most people don't say anything to me however.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Blog Entries
    Love, love, love the responses. I think I'll look for a men's shirt. I picked up a Haband duster at a thrift shop, but it was too small. Maybe I should quilt naked and then dress when I go out?
    Krystyna

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    ............... Maybe I should quilt naked and then dress when I go out?
    .............. just be sure you don't have any memory issues!!!!!!!!

Just keep a good lint brush or roller by your door, to de-feather as you leave.
    I even have one in my truck for those times, some pesky ones follow me out the door!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

when i'm sewing at home on my domestic machine i jsut have a lint roller beside the door so i can go over myself before i leave the room. but I know that with my long arm I sometimes where an apron with pockets. I kept catching my shirts on the pins and ripping them. plus it is a place to hold my snips

Oh yes, a large shirt is a good idea. I'll have to try that. It's not just my clothes that get covered with threads, it's my solid color couch and area rug too. (What was I thinking???). I have lint rollers in several spots to try to control it!
    Lori

Whatever's comfortable up to and including pajamas for those late night sessions when I can't sleep. I guess I'm atypical, because I keep a small basket with a plastic liner handy and methodically drop every thread I snip into it. The liner makes it a cinch to empty. And when all else fails, a lint roller is a lifesaver for those stray strands.

I never go out after sewing because I get up throw on sweats and a shirt and hit the basement. If I need to go out I'd have to do makeup, hair and put some decent clothes on.
    Debra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    I never go out after sewing because I get up throw on sweats and a shirt and hit the basement. If I need to go out I'd have to do makeup, hair and put some decent clothes on.
    Yes, one must make an effort, mustn't one?
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Most people pick off a stray thread and say, "quilting again, Sandy?". I will have to remember some of those responses.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I guess I'm lazier than you are. When people see the threads on me and point it out, I just say, "I come with strings attached."

My alternate is, "Careful. Those are my heart strings."

Most people chuckle and drop the subject. Quilters generally say, "I'm going to have to start using that!"
    That is cute. I have a VERY warm apt, never gets below 74 (and I don't have the heat ON). So I just wear a tank top and shorts that I would never walk outside in ever. That keeps my dress slacks clean of thread. I guess any type of apron that is more like a dress would work best like my Grandmother use to wear in the kitchen. Make it out of quilting theme fabric. Thanks for the post. I thought I was the only one with this problem.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Ha!!! cute question. I do actually not wear shoes, but what ever I happen to have on otherwise is fine.

Usually I wear clothes... Would be afraid I'd burn myself with my iron if I sewed "nekkid". LOL

I usually wear either jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt, or fleece pj pants.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    When it's warm enough I sew (and wander around the house all day) in my panties and a tank top.

Saves on laundry, air conditioning, shoulder pain from bra straps, de-threading, and accessorizing.
    It can be awkward if somebody surprises me by coming down the drive to the end of the lane though!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Most times I sew in sweats or shorts/t-shirt depending on time of year. If I'm planning on doing major sewing - which obviously includes ironing/pressing, I wait to shower/'dress' after that because I'm a sweaty mess after major sewing. Ergo, the clothing is irrelevant. If I'm just doing some 'quick & dirty' sewing with a bit of pressing/ironing, I'll go out with threads attached if not noticed. So far, no one has felt compelled to comment on any of my 'accessories'. But I'd go for the over-large man's shirt if you're concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    When it's warm enough I sew (and wander around the house all day) in my panties and a tank top.

Saves on laundry, air conditioning, shoulder pain from bra straps, de-threading, and accessorizing.
    It can be awkward if somebody surprises me by coming down the drive to the end of the lane though!
    If only! We live waaay too close to the street in a very small town to be able to get away with that! But boy would I love to. So envious!

I tell everyone its my trademark to be covered in little bits of thread. I wear whatever I put on that day.

I keep a sticky lint roller at all times in the sewing room. Not only is it good for a fast clean up of my clothes, but I use it for the ironing board, cutting mat and to remove little threads from fabric after ripping.

Now if I could find something to discourage threads and snippets from being tracked into the hallway carpet - that would be wonderful!

Blog Entries
    I wear an apron .Easy to shake off those little pesky strings.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I usually wear an assortment of thread and fabric sippets. I quilt at home and I am a seamstress for a bridal shop so I sew most of the time. When I go somewhere, people will tease me about bringing my work with me or say I like this color. It's just me being me.

I just wear whatever is comfortable. Sometimes pjs. I too would have to do hair, make up to go out..
    Oh, for picking up threads -- did you all see where the lady suggested a "toilet brush" (new of course, ha, ha)?
    It really works well!!! Don't have to drag out the heavy vacuum. But I do have a Shark (I keep it charged at all times), its lightweight, just right for picking up….'course when emptying little ben, have to pull threads off roller...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I too come from a small town, and many times I have had thread picked off my shoulder. I tend to snip threads, and if I am not standing close to a waste can, I place them on my left shoulder. People often refer to my "corsage". Our older grandson left for the Marines at the end of February and he has wrote back wanting pictures of everyone back home. The other evening our granddaughter (his sister) ran by so we had her snap a picture of Papa and I to send to him. Sure enough there was Papa, our dog, me and "my corsage" in the picture. That's o.k - grandson probably would not know me without the threads.

Needed to edit just to answer your question. I usually wear a t shirt when quilting or sewing. When sewing at the domestic machines I have a thread catcher that I drop the threads into. When at the quilting machine I place them on my shoulder and try to remember to remove them when I leave the studio.
    Last edited by Bobbielinks; 04-04-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast