Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need to wear quilting glove

need to wear quilting glove

After all the years of quilting I will now be going to my locate quilt shop to purchase the safety glove for cutting on my quilts. This weekend I cut a 1/4 inch square off my left pointing finger. After 2 hours of bleeding I went to the emergency room and had to get liquid skin put on after they were able to get the bleeding stopped. I am having trouble typing this message. The only good thing was that I didn't get any blood on my quilt. Please think about the investment of this glove as I could have had a bigger lost than just the tip of my finger

I,m sorry to hear about your finger. I guess this is a lesson to us all. I watch Fons & Porter
    and they wear them all the time and make their guests wear them. I guess they know what
    they are talking about. Hope you heal quickly.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    got mine when i started teaching my daughter to sew. great investment. too bad they don't come in smaller sizes.

I bought a Klutz glove last August after I sliced a chunk off the outside of my left index finger. I know what you mean by bleeding! Even though it's all healed, it still is more sensitive than my other fingers; of course, I don't have that extra skin and fat any more.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Ouch!! I don't wear them, but I can see how easily a finger could be sliced. Hope you heal right up fast.
    Carol in Michigan

I cut a slice off my pointing finger on the left hand one time using a rotary cutter. OUCH - I don't have that glove but I think I will invest in one. Don't want to lose any more skin. It hurts!!!!!

Don't forget to use it,too. As I did!!!!
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    And wear your shoes! Someone I know dropped her cutter and it cut into the top of her foot. Husband being helpful decided it wasn't in nrrd of stitches --- infection, trip to er and hours to get treated and stitched. So, rules of basic rotary cutting I think are protective glove and shoes that cover your feet. If you get cut --- get professional advice.and as with cell phones in cars, limit distractions while you are operating hazzardous machinery. LOL Razor blades of any sizr and shape are dangerous.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I bought a Klutz glove a couple of weeks ago after one of our friends cut his hand badly on a saw. Not quite the same BUT I realize it could very easily happen with the rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    ouch, sorry for your pain . . . .
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Thanks for the reminder! I often "forget" to use mine. I get in a hurry and find I just hate taking it on and off all the time. But after your injury , I will be more diligent. I do hope you heal soon.

Blog Entries
    Oh i feel for you. I never bought the glove but did cut my thumb years ago and it bled for four hours. cut nerves but no stitches. i even had a guard on my long ruler, but had turned it and used the other side-like an idiot. that was the only time my cutter jumped the ruler.

I cut the side of my hand by brushing up against the cutter, since I did not retract the blade. I now try to remember to retract the blade before putting the cutter down.

Blog Entries
    Good for you for going for the safety equipment. We all should! Now, remember to use it.
    My Dad, after 60 some years of woodworking without incident, broke one of his cardinal rules about using the table saw - no gloves or rings - ever. He had his gloves on (winter) and just had to do a "quick cut" and didn't take them off. Yes, the saw caught the glove, and after surgery, he had an inch missing from his index finger and the next two had fused joints. Of course this was his dominant hand too. He's still frustrated every time he uses a screwdriver or wrench and can't grip it properly.
    Lesson? Use your safety equipment, and don't ever forget to use your safety rules!
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Power Poster
    Hope you heal quickly.

Blog Entries
    I bought this one at Amazon because it comes in small and extra small size: Harold Imports Intruder Mesh Cutting Glove

bonus, it cost less then the Klutz glove.
    Got fabric?

I really appreciate the ergonomic rotary cutter with auto retraction. I dont have to remember to close it.