Lost Piece of Mail

Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Give it a little more time.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM

Ask your Postmaster.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM

I've mailed checks to someone here in town (pop. approx. 1800) and they have NEVER been delivered. Because we're in such a small town, I just cancelled the check in my computer & re-issued it. Bank fees are out of sight. Once or twice the check was received maybe a month later and they returned it.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Don't give up. Give it a week. How do you know it didn't get stolen from a mailbox on the receiving end? She can ask the letter carrier if she remembers delivering it. They can also keep a look out for it. Some parts of the country deliver slower than other areas.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Letters are sorted on automation machines with very specific requirements. There is only one place on the front where the destination goes and it must be typed or printed. If you want to have your letters arrive quickly, then ask and clerk or postmaster to give you brochure with instructions.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 AM

It used to take TEN days for my paycheck to arrive in the Midwest from the East Coast. Thankfully, it never went missing and now we have Direct Deposit.

when it comes to mail...i don't try to get "creative" with my address side. Tooooo distracting...I just want the mail to get to its destination. Keep it simple. Follow protocol. Why would you put the address to the left? Probably had to be handled manually by the PO. Be patient..it will get there eventually.

sandy
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 AM

Another thing we found out (luckily) about the USPS. My nephew sent a note to my mother, and it was returned to him. We couldn't figure out why, so I took it to the satellite P.O. and they couldn't figure out why it wasn't delivered, either. So, on to the main P.O. The only thing they could figure out was that the address (an example, not my real address) of 30092 W Main St., did not have a period after the W. So now we spell out the word "West" and ask all businesses to do the same. Our bank has the same problem with mail they send being returned, so I let the manager know this might be part of the problem. The main P.O. said it was the "computer."
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 AM

Coopah -- I thought your response was interesting. Not delivering because there was no period after the W for West? I thought the p.o. delivered according to the Zip Code. One would think that once it reaches the town, the mail carrier could read the W with no period as West! Good gravy! I had a package posted in October from England show up a month or so after Christmas! That I could understand but no 'period after the W'? That stretches my imagination, lol!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 AM

I agree that I would give it at least a week to arrive. Depending on how far it had to go, it could take a little longer. It's expensive to do a stop payment (maybe more than the value of the check actually) so just give it a while before resending. I have sent things from my home to a place only 1 1/2 hrs away and it often takes two days. Post office is not always the same. It will probably get there but just be a little patient.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM

I just sent a board member a MO on Aug 26th she has not gotten it yet !!! Only went to Texas. So I sent another one on the 6th of Sept. she had it the 9th. Now they say it will cost me 17.00 for frist Mo. So the 28.00 Mo Now is costing me another 28 plus the 17.00.