Tops

Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Another possibility is disaster relief when there is fire, flood, earthquake, or whatever. There are always organizations looking for donations in such circumstances and some of them will accept tops only, especially if you include some batting and fabric for backing, then they have people who will finish them and give to the ones who need them.
I did that with several of mine after the tornado damage in Oklahoma which was near where I had lived at one time.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM

I really think that unless you just don't like them, then save them and finish them as you can. Learn to either stitch in the ditch, or trade service with a long armer in trade quilt tops = quilting.

But I wouldn't be in a hurry to do anything with them at all. Then, as many do, you can choose one and finish it as you wish--and as you have money. Do you feel like you have to keep the pile down to "0" or below 10? I don't think you have to.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

can some of them be tied? you could do that yourself. You could use old sheets or blankets. I have pieced some blankets because of wear and tear. Some times you can get some inexpensive flannel remnants at the different big box stores. just wash in hot water and throw in a hot dryer. If you have many scraps piece them together or if you have acouple tops you could use as a reverse quilt. Check estate sales where bedding may be involved in the sale. I've taken all my sheets I no longer use and will use them for batting and backing.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 AM

I belong to a guild which will take quilt tops and other members will finish them. This is only if it is a charity quilt or a give away for a special person, etc. Maybe you could check into local hospices, hospitals, homeless shelters. Perhaps someone there would love to have them and could find someone to finish them. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Another possibility is disaster relief when there is fire, flood, earthquake, or whatever. There are always organizations looking for donations in such circumstances and some of them will accept tops only, especially if you include some batting and fabric for backing, then they have people who will finish them and give to the ones who need them.
I did that with several of mine after the tornado damage in Oklahoma which was near where I had lived at one time.
Good idea...
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 PM

I agree...I'm a topper, not a finisher!

I am going to propose this idea to my guild: bring in a top that you made, swap it with someone else. Finish hers, she finishes yours. Sometimes it is the "pressure" that you need to finish someone else's will motivate you to complete the project. I get bored after the top is made. The pretty pattern is done, now comes the hard part - the quilting. I only have a DSM, so big projects (anything larger than twin size) gets "shelved" after the top is made. Maybe this is a dumb idea, after all I would still be finishing a quilt, but maybe the boredom factor won't kick in. JMHO...

Good luck.

Anita
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM

I have seen people sell flimsies on Ebay etc. Maybe you could make enough to support your "habit"