Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow Brick Road Question >

Yellow Brick Road Question

Yellow Brick Road Question

Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Yellow Brick Road Question

I am in the process of choosing fabrics for a double size Yellow Brick Road quilt and trying to determine how many different fabrics I really need. The pattern calls for 24 fat quarters but I don't want nearly that many different fabrics. I am trying to stay with a vintage / cottage look of roses, pinks, and greens as this quilt is going on my in-laws bedroom suite built in the 40's that we are putting in our new house. I have searched the gallery and google images. There seem to be lots of quilts using an odd number of fabrics rather than an even number. Does this make it easier to assemble the squares without the same fabric touching? I would so appreciate any help as it has been several years since I made a quilt.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM

I have made several Yellow Brick Road quilts, mostly the double and baby size. I don't remember using that many fat quarters, but will check my pattern and get back to you.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Personally, I think the YBR pattern looks better with more variety, not less. I've made that pattern and didn't have enough assortment and, yes, some of the same colors touched. Did not like the result. Since the size you're making calls for 24 FQ's, you can probably get away with some repetition but my suggestion is to keep it to a minimum.

Yes, an odd number of fabrics is the way to go, i.e., 21 different fabrics and 3 repeats. It doesn't make necessarily make it easier but it will make your quilt look much better.

Hope that helps!

Jane
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Yes, an odd number of fabrics is the way to go, i.e., 21 different fabrics and 3 repeats. It doesn't make necessarily make it easier but it will make your quilt look much better.

Jane
Thanks Jane! To make sure I understand when you say 3 repeats you mean to use 3 of the same fabrics to make a total of 24?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

According to this article, one would only need four colors to not have any colors touch each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 AM

I made a Yellow Brick Road with six fabrics, and I really liked the results, but then , it didn't bother me when fabrics touched. I remember it calling for 12 fat quarters for the size I made, so I cut the number of fabrics in half.

Let me find a picture, in case it helps you decide what you want to do.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails yellow-brick-road-2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
According to this article, one would only need four colors to not have any colors touch each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
Wow - I understand the concept but sure hope there is not going to be a pop quiz. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I made a Yellow Brick Road with six fabrics, and I really liked the results, but then , it didn't bother me when fabrics touched. I remember it calling for 12 fat quarters for the size I made, so I cut the number of fabrics in half.

Let me find a picture, in case it helps you decide what you want to do.

Dina
Thanks Dina! I love the way your quilt turned out.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM

I agree about having a good variety. I did a kit once that was Yellow Brick Road and there wasn't enough variety to suit me. Also keep in mind that it looks good to vary the style/size of prints also. That kit I had included several of the same print but in different colors. I thought it was too blah when done. I never did finish it. I think it needs some applique to spruce it up.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM

I made a Turning Twenty (very similar) with not enough variety and I was unhappy with it.