Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 AM

Can you call someone (or the person who told you originally) to clarify how much the dues are? Perhaps the $12/week includes lunch?

Anita
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if one of us misheard the other...........hope so.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 AM

I attend a weekly Bee that charges $5 per week. This money is for the "leader" of the Bee who is there to help us, loan us any equipment we need, provide classes and supplies. She has a wealth of sewing knowledge and is well worth the $5. P.S. She often treats us to some wonderful homemade goodies too.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
There's a local store that has a friday nite quilt group - bring your projects, etc. she charges something like $20 to come. And there's nothing in return. No discount on fabric, no food, nothing. I am grateful that the church i quilt at is free - it's about the fun, and fellowship. Once a month we do a carry-in lunch and then go back upstairs and quilt some more.
I hope your group makes a $$donation to the church as a courtesy. We meet at a church too and we donate to cover expenses for heat/ac, good will. I am the only one who actually is a member of this church but groups who use the facility should make a donation periodically. IMHO

To the original post, why did she not ASK about the $12 fee when she was first told? Sounds like a big misunderstanding.

sandy
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 AM

Sounds more like a bee. There is one group I know that meets at a condo residents club house. They either pay by the month or each visit is $5. They sometimes meet 3x a week. They are out of space and normally they will let me know if they have a person not coming, so I can go quilt and hang out. They are far from me, so not really a place I could be a regular. However, I enjoy "girl time," quilting, noshing, and chatting with other ladies.

I know of another group where the folks rent a space and each one pays the rent for the month. Guests can come for a small fee there as well. The regulars of that group actually leave a small sewing machines and notions all the time, as they sew several times a week and the place gets locked up. Again too far for me. I wish I could find a group around my area.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I would just ask them what the money is used for. If they all pay that there must be a reason.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The guild I was going to join charged a fee each time you went til you became a member. Then it was
$25.00 a year. Not so bad. 20 minute drive not bad. Every time you came to the meeting you were to bring a fat quarter and still not so bad. Then after the first meeting, I thought ok I'll join seemed like some nice people. When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
That is a new low! You're fortunate to have escaped! froggyintexas
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 AM

It might be $12 because it is a small group. I meet with a small group twice a month (maximum of 5 people) and we were kicking in $10 a piece to go to the church for the use of the room. we now have about 8-10 and they have knocked it down to $5 a piece. We also make sure that when we leave everything is put back into place and sparkling clean (vacumed, etc.)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Who cares if they're charging $12 or $5 per time? I wouldn't pay anything to be in the company of snobs and bigots.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM

If it's 12.00 a week, that's 624.00 a year times how many members!!! Sewing Guild (national) is $50., local small guild is $12.00, and machine quilting guild is $24.00, and all of these are per year. I would do some investigating into that much cost.