Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I have belonged to two different quilt guilds -- one large urban group, and one relatively small rural group. Each met once a month and dues were $25 to $35 per year. I would not feel comfortable paying $12/week. Wonder why the dues are so high?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM

I don't know what part of the country you're from, but here in SW Arkansas the group I belong to charges $12.00/yr plus $1/a month whether you attend or not. So that's $24 a year. The lunch is more or less a pot luck. I would not pay 12/wk. for what you have described.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM

$12.00 a week is just incredible - and I live in a part of the US with a high-cost of living. I was paying $20.00 a year, and we met at a church, we had one month a year we sewed Project Linus quilts. I could see paying $12.00 a month, but not a week unless they were having to pay for the facility and in that case, they need to find another place. How many members were paying this?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM

The one I belong to is $15 a year, we have work shops once a year at a members house which is free. If we do have a teacher/designer come we use the due money and sometimes we need to pay extra out of our pockets it just depends on what the charge is to come. Bus trips we pay for ourselves to quilt shows out of the area. Yet our meeting place at a church only charges us $100. a year.

There is another Guild a little south of me in our area that has 1 a month meeting but a workshop every Monday. I believe their dues are $20 a year and $5 for the Monday workshop but it's from what I understand is not really a workshop as you bring whatever you are working on and work on it, bring a dish to pass around for lunch and seems to me more like a get together. I have thought of joining this one but not going to the workshops Mondays.

I'm thinking the dues charged for most Guilds are due to what the place they have to rent to meet.

But to be turned down because of your beliefs is something else and I would just make my own group and have those turned down join...I bet it would be a fun group if you did that!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 PM

I would definitely ask for more information. That seems incredibly high to me. Over the years, my guild fees have ranged from $25.00 to $40.00.

Let's see - $12.00 per week for 52 weeks is $624.00 per year. If fabric is $12.00 per yard - that's 52 yards of fabric.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM

$12 a week seems really high.
The only group I belong to is Woodturners of Olympia. Yes, I know-different hobby though there are pros there too. We meet at a room at the Thurston County Fairgrounds once a month. Dues are $25 a year and there are great benefits like discounts at hardware stores, discounted supplies from the group itself, a lot of very talented speakers-mostly at no extra charge, a free hands-on workshop most months, the list goes on. I would expect a quilting group to be about the same in terms of membership fees and benefits. Oh, I almost forgot, no discrimination based on personal beliefs or anything else. I would think groups for any hobby, craft, or whatever wouldn't need any more than a common interest in the subject itself as a qualification to join.

This isn't the first thread I've seen here talking about the (to me) unreasonable practices of some guilds and groups. The horror stories of how people are treated by some of them are just ridiculous to me and frankly make me not even interested in trying to join any. I think I'll just stay here where it's already a given the people are decent to one another.
Rodney
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 PM

$12 a week is way to rich for my blood. Hopefully either that person made or error or you misheard what she said. If that is correct I know I would look around for other groups to go to.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The guild I was going to join charged a fee each time you went til you became a member. Then it was $25.00 a year. Not so bad. 20 minute drive not bad. Every time you came to the meeting you were to bring a fat quarter and still not so bad. Then after the first meeting, I thought ok I'll join seemed like some nice people. When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
I wonder if tesagin was invited and then turned down of that groups was a "Chrisitian' group. I do belong to one and a friend who is agnostic attends. She just ignores all the prayer 'stuff' and does the charity quilting and all anyway. I certainly don't express my views in this group eitheras I know I would be considered way too liberal for their comfort.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would love to join that guild! I would say what they wanted to hear and then be a holy terror once I was a member. I would have a blast.
Can I go with you? I agree, we'd have a GOOD time & make their little meetings pretty exciting! Maybe they could call the Quilt Police on us.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 AM

I've heard of some groups that limited their membership. Some others that you have to be asked to join. I've also had some quilt guild members mention that other members didn't do "quality" hand stitching on a quilt and they would prefer that they not try on the guild's quilts. How are you suppose to learn new skills? Why not have some charity quilts to teach beginners? I'm not big on guilds after that.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 AM

There's a local store that has a friday nite quilt group - bring your projects, etc. she charges something like $20 to come. And there's nothing in return. No discount on fabric, no food, nothing. I am grateful that the church i quilt at is free - it's about the fun, and fellowship. Once a month we do a carry-in lunch and then go back upstairs and quilt some more.