Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Appliqued Wall Hanging using Crayola crayons >

Appliqued Wall Hanging using Crayola crayons

Appliqued Wall Hanging using Crayola crayons

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 AM

I teach classes on color tinting with crayons. The most important thing is choosing a fabric (to color on) that has a high thread count. I use a light box to transfer the pattern onto the fabric using a micron or pigma pen. You must heat set this. Then dig out the crayons and have fun. Get a big box of crayons so there will be lots of tinting selections. Some people like to cover the whole design with white crayon first. They feel that it fills in all the "holes" in the fabric so the color is stronger. I like to gather up 6 - 10 crayons of the same color family and start with the lightest and move through to the darkest--shading as I go. There are a couple hints I will pass on. Check to make sure that the surface you are coloring on is smooth and there aren't any stray threads on the back--both will show and can't be removed. It is always smart to start at the top of the design and color downward--don't drag your hand through the color already applied--it will smear!! To negate that, I often color one section and then heat set it and move on to the next section. Heat set by applying a paper towel on the design to absorb the color. I usually use two towels to assure that all the color has lifted. It is possible to go back and tint again and again--just heat set each time. I recommend washing in cold water and with mild soap. If you decide to embroider, be sure to back the design with muslin (baste around the design) or use pellon SF 101. Both will hide the threads. I give all students the same design and am always amazed at how different each one turns out--from lightly tinted to very darkly tinted. It's really fun. Give it a try.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Love it and thanks dottiequilts for your clear explanation. Crayons....who'd have thought!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 AM

Beautiful.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 AM

I love your wall hanging! I made a rugged looking cross with blue bonnets using crayons. Right now it's at the State Fair (got HM on it) and in November we have a class at my church and will be coloring snowmen BOM using crayons and crayola colored pencils. I like using the pencils. If you need inspirations go to Designs by Tana website. She is located here in Texas, but has mail order. She is very talented. (I'm not associated in any way with her business. I just like her products and designs)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Thanks, I have to give this a try.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 AM

love it.. great job
Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 AM

It sure did turn out great.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 AM

I love it.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 AM

You didn't just draw on one piece of fabric and color it, you cut out and appliqued individual pieces. Did you use different fabrics for the different pieces? And did you fold under to applique or use fusible on the back and machine appliqued it? That is really nice. Years ago I had my granddaughter draw and color on blocks and made a quilt for her. It was well used and when the blocks became really faded from washing, my daughter put it up for when Samantha becomes old enough to appreciate it again.
Marcia in TX
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 AM

I've made two baby quilts using crayons. First I traced my SunBonnet Sues onto muslin squares (one for each month) and then just colored them. The second quilt was a little boy quilt with cars, tractors, etc. I outline embroideried then colored inside the lines. Heat set. Done. I also colored some hand embroidery on a set of pillow cases and they have held up well in he wash. If you iron freezer paper on the back of your block it makes it easier to color.