Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Crayola fabric crayons >

Help with Crayola fabric crayons

Help with Crayola fabric crayons

Old 11-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Help with Crayola fabric crayons

I bought a pack of Crayola fabric crayons to let the grandkids make something personal and special for their Mom and step-Dad. I bought fabric, 90% polyester and 10% cotton, will this work? I have looked up a few websites about crayon transfer, but would love some tips and ideas from those who have used them before. Not sure if it will be a wall hanging or pillow. Just depends on what the kids draw.

I am also thinking about using cotton duck fabric and making tote bags with the kid's drawings. Would markers be better and hold up to more frequent washing?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I have done the regular Crayola crayons that you iron between paper bags to set the colour and remove the wax. I have not used actual Crayola fabric crayons but if they need to be ironed to set the colour, the polyester content may not like a hot iron.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Try a swatch to see how it goes... use both crayons and markers...wash 'em a couple times and check it out. Love the idea..dont' forget to show us the results!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I use 100% cotton for this technique. Sue is done with crayons on 100% cotton so you an see the effect. Polyester won't absorb the wax dye very well. Get a few samples of different material and do the trial error method till you find what you like. Course or smooth, saturated color or soft color. It is all up to you.
You have a great idea and just have to experiment to find the look you like.

peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-24-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

you really need 100% cotton or other natural fiber for the colors to saturate the fibers & remain- on a polyester blend the colors will wash out- so it will only work if making wall hangings or something that will never be washed.
we generally press *cotton* fabrics to freezer paper for stability- I use painters tape around the edges- then when the kids are done with their master pieces I use a brown paper sack or plain newsprint paper as a press cloth- the paper absorbs the wax and sets the colors.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Good advice here and ckcowl really nailed it well.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM

What a wonderful idea! I would love to do something like that with my grandkids for their parents. Is there a book or website where I can learn more about this? What's it even called?

ube quilting, your Sue is just lovely!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Crayola crayons are awesome for this project. I posted a picture of a wallhanging I did for my friend who is a 5th grade teacher. Her classroom theme is owls and each student got to color an 8 x 8 square of an owl. It came out fabulous.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 PM

I use paper towels to absorb the wax when pressing.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Another item you could make is to paint a brick, then put paint on a paper plate, let the kids put their hands in it, then blot the hands on a paper towel to get the excess paint off, then let them put their hands on the bricks. Date it, put a piece of felt on the bottom, and you are done. The felt I used is the kind that you peel off the back and it sticks on the brick. My grandson was little, maybe 2, and we did his hands and his feet. Dad used it for a door stop in his office. If you are not satisfied with the hand prints, just wipe it off and do it again. Just a thought. We did it for Father's Day but anytime would be nice. The kids loved it.