Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No substitute available for - - - >

No substitute available for - - -

No substitute available for - - -

Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I did a lot of try and see how it would work.

I am also mostly self-taught - I have learned of many variations of how-to from board members.

I will also admit that I am unwilling to try some things - even after hearing about how well they work out. (Glue basting, for example.)

I really wonder how those that have had no background at all with sewing manage to learn.

All the women around me as I grew up sewed - so it was just something one did - some better than others!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Many words of wisdom here! I will just say, some of all of the above. Basically, try it all and choose what works best for me and my fibro fogged brain. LOL
Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

One thing for me is that I do NOT drop my feed dogs when fmq. Gasp! I know. One of the classes I took when starting out the instructor was emphatic you cannot under any circumstances fmq unless you drop your feed dogs. Wrong! After forgetting one time to drop them, then experimenting, I found if I leave them up and lower the presser foot tension, it really helps my stitch length be more regular. I go much slower than most people do when fmq but, it's what works for me.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 AM

I like to try new things. Some I adopt and others not. I do think that there is no substitute for ongoing measuring, squaring, pressing accurately, etc. Sometimes short cut methods make these standards difficult. If some pieces are miscut or not accurately stitched the problem will only be magnified as the process continues. Everyone has to develop their own standard as to what is acceptable to him or her.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM

I totally agree...everything I've ever done, I've taught myself to do. I've tried tearing fabric (oh, no!)...and still tear to straighten the ends.
I do prewash & then starch to return some of the body to the fabric...especially using the Go cutter...seems to prevent the fabric from being just a hair off ( I think it is pushed sometimes when going through the cutter).

There are as many ways to do something, as there are folks to do them. No one way is set in stone...I do what works for me, and others do what works for them.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
There really is no substitute available for experience and practice.

When someone asks "Is it better to ___ or not?"
or
"How to _______?"

and receives different answers - all of which are valid to the responder -

Which answer does he/she choose to follow?

I know that there are things that I think are "essential" to my process that others blow off.
(Washing everything washable before cutting is one of mine.)

I also know that there are things that others think are "essential" that I don't do.
(Starching everything before cutting is something that I rarely do.)

How did you learn and/or decide how to do things?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM

I have learned a bushel of Information from the board and all you fabulous quilters. I was a seamstress for many years before going in to the quilting. I have really come a long way in this hobby. I sure love it and make many items besides quilts. i do try the new thing and love the glue and spray basting. I do wash some fabric first and I starch a bunch before cutting. All of this helps.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I always pre-wash and never starch. I have tried many different ways. I find doing things the way I always have, works the best.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 AM

Trial and error. Usually stick to what has worked in the past but always open to new ideas. For example, next time I need a lot of HST's I will try the method that produces 8 at once to see if the bias edges really pose a problem or not.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 AM

So true and well spoken.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:39 AM

The above was in response to ghostriders comment